Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Glory 16 TKD Kick

A Taekwondo kick finds its way into Glory. Back in the 1990's we used to call this a 'cut back kick' in Olympic style TKD. It's a skip side kick off the front leg and before you put the front leg down you throw the back kick. You can also do it as a spin kick (wheel kick) defensively where you block your opponent's kick with the front leg side kick and then counter with the back or spin kick. I think Anthony Pettis through this in the UFC once but he landed to the body so there was no KO.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    It's the rule-set. They don't allow clinging.. Or elbows... It's like full contact karate..

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I keep telling my friends to watch glory.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Yeah it's entertaining. I like it alot.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    It's the rule-set. They don't allow clinging.. Or elbows... It's like full contact karate..
    It may be true that they don't allow Thai style clinch work in Glory but that isn't why the kick landed. The right distance and timing account for the kick landing. Look forward to see more of the old Olympic style TKD making it's way into combat sports.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    It may be true that they don't allow Thai style clinch work in Glory but that isn't why the kick landed. The right distance and timing account for the kick landing. Look forward to see more of the old Olympic style TKD making it's way into combat sports.
    I agree with you. But look at the statistics. The reason those land more often are because the majority of the fight is spent on the outside with that proper range you speak of.. I'm not saying that kick won't work in Muay Thai, I'm not saying the kick is bad at all. What im saying is rule sets always dictate style. For example...Boxing has tons of body shots, because more time on avg is spent inside the pocket than in striking where kicks or clinching is allowed.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    By body shots I mean body punches.

Also, jumping kicks are much more difficult to land if he can take you down.. Or simply clinch you. So, with less time spent there and the risk being much higher.. You see them much less. It's how it works man. Same with all combat sports and their governing rule sets. Its the reason youre seeing double guard pulls and gay 50/50 and guys being inverted for 10 minutes in gi grappling... BJJ rule set..

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    I agree with you. But look at the statistics. The reason those land more often are because the majority of the fight is spent on the outside with that proper range you speak of.. I'm not saying that kick won't work in Muay Thai, I'm not saying the kick is bad at all. What im saying is rule sets always dictate style. For example...Boxing has tons of body shots, because more time on avg is spent inside the pocket than in striking where kicks or clinching is allowed.
    I hear you. Somebody once said 'every technique works if it lands'

Array

School
    Suk Ji Yong, 1988 Olympic Gold medalist from Korea. This dude was amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast