Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    The answer is that you don't have proper underhooks. If you have a good deep underhook that this doesn't happen. Practice finding that underhook in transition so when you get to lock down your ready to work vs. Fighting for an underhook after your in lock down.
    That's probably where my problem lies. I don't seem to understand what a "deep underhook" really is.

I used to think this was when my lockdown-side arm was stretched all the way across my opponent's back (i.e. so my armpit is almost touching the side of his stomach/ribs) - but this is where some guys just reach around, grab my wrist, slot their other arm in and set up the kimura.

Array

School
    10WO
    If they have the space to reach around and grab your wrist behind their back (I'm assuming its their arm that is on the non-lockdown side reaching behind and grabbing your lockdown-side underhook to set-up the kimura), why don't you get up to dogfight? It seems to me it would be a real easy transition since they would be postured almost straight up since they couldn't post with the arm that is reaching behind to mess with your underhook. Unless I'm not understanding whats going on, it seems like that would be one possible solution, especially if you don't have the confidence in your lockdown yet to disrupt his base with just your legs alone.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I am working my botom half lockdown game pretty hard right now. I am finding that I get stuck when guys just base wide. Even if I whip their leg up, guys are just staying heavy, so I can't really whip them up for electric chair, and I can't seem to get them to lean in hard enough to execute Plan B.

I think a lot of it has to do with the weight difference. I am 155and most ofthe guys I am rolling at 210 to 220, so I find them just make it hard to move them. Sooner or later my perseverance usually pays off and I can unsettle their base, but I am finding that they are not having to lean one way or the other so much, they are more or less just staying balanced in the center.

I often times can just take the back when they do that, or at least go for the back and illicit a scramble. I haven't talked to Stew about ityet either, so he hasn't had a chance to correct whatever flaw I have going on there.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    I am working my botom half lockdown game pretty hard right now. I am finding that I get stuck when guys just base wide. Even if I whip their leg up, guys are just staying heavy, so I can't really whip them up for electric chair, and I can't seem to get them to lean in hard enough to execute Plan B.

I think a lot of it has to do with the weight difference. I am 155and most ofthe guys I am rolling at 210 to 220, so I find them just make it hard to move them. Sooner or later my perseverance usually pays off and I can unsettle their base, but I am finding that they are not having to lean one way or the other so much, they are more or less just staying balanced in the center.

I often times can just take the back when they do that, or at least go for the back and illicit a scramble. I haven't talked to Stew about ityet either, so he hasn't had a chance to correct whatever flaw I have going on there.
    Transition to dogfight.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by mountveggie View Post
    That's probably where my problem lies. I don't seem to understand what a "deep underhook" really is.

I used to think this was when my lockdown-side arm was stretched all the way across my opponent's back (i.e. so my armpit is almost touching the side of his stomach/ribs) - but this is where some guys just reach around, grab my wrist, slot their other arm in and set up the kimura.
    I don't always gable grip low on the hips but if you have a good squeeze an a gable grip around their waist your not getting Kimura . I also bring my right elbow inside their hip as part of the gable grip which will prevent them from turning for Kimura or twister pass. If I'm worried about dance I jump my underhook high on opposite trap an slightly lift my elbow.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    I don't always gable grip low on the hips but if you have a good squeeze an a gable grip around their waist your not getting Kimura . I also bring my right elbow inside their hip as part of the gable grip which will prevent them from turning for Kimura or twister pass. If I'm worried about dance I jump my underhook high on opposite trap an slightly lift my elbow.
    Is it possible to gable grip when you've got electric underhooks? (or am I reading that wrong?)

On a side note, Chad mentioned transitioning to the dogfight when a guy goes for the kimura - don't know why I didn't think of it before! Will definitely try that next week

Man, the more I read, the more I realise how much I don't know about the lockdown. It's exciting though! You guys are really opening my mind up to loads of new insights. Even when I don't understand certain points - it sure if motivating to know how much further the lockdown can go, and more I can do with it in future (maybe 200 kimuras, 100 americanas and 50 darces later)

Array

School
    That's supposed to say worried about the darce...sorry but that.

Array

School
    Just be strong with your squeeze and keep your underhooks deep an an you should be fine.

Array

School
    Leverage Kuala Lumpur
    I have this problem too, especially if my opponent is 30% heavier than me, I just can't whip up or whip down. They then put their forearm to my throat and create distance. When there is enough distance, they will peel off my left arm and go for the Americana. If my opponent is 10% to 20% bigger, I can still manage but if they are 30% or more bigger, I just get stuck. What is the best thing to do against big guys when you are playing the Lockdown?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Ho View Post
    I have this problem too, especially if my opponent is 30% heavier than me, I just can't whip up or whip down. They then put their forearm to my throat and create distance. When there is enough distance, they will peel off my left arm and go for the Americana. If my opponent is 10% to 20% bigger, I can still manage but if they are 30% or more bigger, I just get stuck. What is the best thing to do against big guys when you are playing the Lockdown?
    To me, it sounds like you should have already bailed to the Butterfly Guard. The stomp is a great way to do that.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast