Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

At what did you start doing martial arts?

At what age did you start doing martial arts?

I ask because I'm very interested in doing martial namely BJJ, Judo and Sambo, but my mother won't allow me. She thinks I will get hurt, even though I've wrestled my freshmen year of high school (I'm a senior now and planning to start wrestling again).

What should I do?
    If I start doing martial arts in my twenties will I be able to keep up with those who have done BJJ and Judo since childhood?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I didn't start seriously pursuing grappling until I was almost 26.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I didn't start seriously pursuing grappling until I was almost 26.
    how old are you now?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    I started Bjj when I was 32 Im 46 now. I had my first mma fight when I was 41. I wish I could have started in my early twenties

chris miah

I started at 16 after having played football (soccer) and running cross country as a youngster.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Do it now..sneak out to do it, start when you're 13 years old...we all wish we were younger man, trust me when I say to start now. I've watched BJJ happen around me for years before I jumped in. I started at 19. Wish I had stated at 13
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    how old are you now?
    I'm 34
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

In reply to your specific question:

"If I start doing martial arts in my twenties will I be able to keep up with those who have done BJJ and Judo since childhood?"

the answer depends upon what you mean by "keep up with"

If you mean be competitive against the best internationally then absolutely not and completely out of the question in an Olympic sport like Judo.

Perhaps you can better define what level you are talking about.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I'm 34
    You give me hope man. I officially started training under a proper instructor at 29. So it's definitely not too late.

I was 18 right out of highschool. Once I could afford it, my parents did not like me investing my time and money in martial arts when i started. It was something I always wanted to do as a kid. The sooner you start is the better, but don't worry about starting "late" each day is the best to start! My parents have been more supportive since then. Once they saw the benefits of me training they backed off. Best advice I can give you is inform your mother about the benefits you can get from bjj,judo and sambo. I'm sure if you let her know this is something you really want to do, and how positive it can be, she will support you better. Still respect your mom's opinion whatever it might be she is only thinking about what is best for you. So its your job to explain this could be the best decision you ever made for yourself. It was forsure mine. Good luck hope it works out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast