Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    Holiday Inn Express
    For me, I train at 60% strength, but 100% technique, at all times. This means, I will jump at any opportunity that opens, with absolute intent on besting you, but I wont allow myself to use more than 60% of my strength in doing so, because I never want to force anything. As far as guys who go 100%, they all do against me, and I like it. Keeps me sharp. No rest periods for me either. If i need to rest, then I was forcing things, rather than finding openings.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Searle View Post
    Today in the gym I was rolling with someone I've never rolled with before. While he wasn't too experienced it was obvious he had training. Now he out weighed me by probably 40-60 pounds, but who doesnt?

My issue is that he was putting his 100% in to this roll like it was the fucking world championship. I go into the gym typically rolling at about 60% even less with white belts, there are only a few guys I'll turn it up with. I like to work on my defense and I really don't want to hurt my teammates. This guy forced me into a position that I don't like to be in having to go a lot harder than I'm comfortable with outside of competition.

Does it bother anyone else when people roll like that?
    Nah. I take advantage and learn. Being a fat kid, I gas easily so I prefer to roll at 40% to conserve energy and make it through the whole hour of rolls. But some guys only know how to go hard. And wrestlers only know going hard. So context helps. Whenever I encounter a new guy who is going 100000% on me, I always ask, "wrestler?" And I'm usually right. There is no right or wrong. And some of the top guys (Leandro Lo for example) only go 100%. They believe that going anything less than 100% leaves you unprepared for competition. So take advantage and act like it's the absolutes. (Also, play defense and let them tire out).

And just have fun man. No one likes getting smashed, but in JJ it's bound to happen. just be optimistic about it and have fun with the process. Discomfort usually brings about improvement. Navy SEALS don't become machines by having king sized beds and egyptian cotton bedding. LOL. Discomfort ain't that bad homie.

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I think that's great advice from Ryan. I try to react that way, though sometimes my ego will get the better of me. With a white belt or blue belt that is doing that, I will usually just let them pass and work whatever they had in mind. Once they have sufficiently exhausted themselves, I mount my offense.

Gray, I have started to notice that also about really great competitors. They almost invariably come after me like I stole something. I have grown to like it and I've started doing it more lately. Gotta find that good balance for myself, though.
    You stole there heart, you handsome devil you.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Keep your elbows in, knees tight, and spine straight. Avoid under hooks, crossfaces, and being flattened. Never let them in between your elbows and your knees, unless in full guard. Let him attack you for a minute and watch for his openings which are usually repetitive and prdeictable. Time then attack. Its hard to be a spaz when someone is clenching or pressureing the shit outta ya properly. Knee on belly to. Its pretty fun to calm down a bucking bull with transitions and pressh.

No it doesn't bother me. It focuses be.

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    This is really hard for me to define. I guess the most concise way to put it is like this:

If I feel a guy going very, very hard, but clearly lacks basic skills and knowledge, I play very defensive. One - to guard myself against injuries due to them spazzing, and two - to protect them from similar injuries. Since 90% of what I practice is from standing, this is even more important. My only lasting injuries are from takedowns and throws. Also, I want new guys to want to come back. I want them to develop as players over time. If I have too much of an ego to take a few bad positions from a new guy, or god forbid a sub (oh no, how will I sleep at night?), then I am letting my emotional state impede another's development. Mutual benefit.

Conversely, if it is a skilled practitioner, and they are going hard, I try to exceed their intensity, because I know the training is under control, and intensity is a necessary component for creating progress at an advanced level.

I used to coast through all my training, until I realized that I wasn't getting better as quickly as I should. But I had to develop a certain level of skill before I could add 100% intensity, or that intensity was all for naught.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Everyone has good points. I think I should define what's going down in my mind.
    A) you out weigh me by 50lbs. Advantage you
    B) I'm not attacking you I'm playing defense and position, advantage you
    C) I'm playing bottom game advantage you
    D) I out rank you and have been doing this a while advantage me

If you've ever watched me roll I am very reserved and composed, I have no problem playing from a shitty posish, if you want to roll with intensity I'm OK with that white to black, but don't start the roll at 100% flailing your limbs at me and using every ounce of muscle you have trying to flip me with 0 technique or pass. Start out at a decent pace and turn it up. As a white belt you should be going with no intensity, you're not gonna learn shit. This guy is an MMA fighter so he has a decent amount of experience.

My issue is you are actually trying to intentionally injure me AND he succeeded, I won't be rolling for probably a month because he thought it'd be cool to drop his whole 200lbs on my neck when I was inverted. Thanks guy, now when you come at me with that kind of intensity and I give it back and submit you 10 times in a couple minutes don't you think you ought to turn it down?

Again I have no problem with rolling hard, it's the fact that you're trying to take my head off when we're supposed to be teammates. Going hard for submissions when you don't know the consequences is like firing a gun blind folded with your family down range. Shit might get ugly

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    At my school, we have colored bands we wear on our wrists that silently designate how hard we're going today (whether because we're injured or because we're super new and don't want to miss learning opportunities just because they are coming at us a million miles per hour). I roll green almost every day: 50% intensity. I have so much to learn and while going hard will improve my cardio, I'll also be spent pretty fast. Blue means 70%, red means 100%. Lowest band color takes precedence.

It saves you that conversation sometimes.

Cool idea IMHO and I've learned more quickly for it. Some people have to learn to slow down and go light but it makes it a lot easier for the new guys to find their feet and get some reps in.

It might slow them down too so that they're not spazzing out on you...

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Keep your elbows in, knees tight, and spine straight. Avoid under hooks, crossfaces, and being flattened. Never let them in between your elbows and your knees, unless in full guard. Let him attack you for a minute and watch for his openings which are usually repetitive and prdeictable. Time then attack. Its hard to be a spaz when someone is clenching or pressureing the shit outta ya properly. Knee on belly to. Its pretty fun to calm down a bucking bull with transitions and pressh.

Really good advice. +1

Array

School
    10P Decatur
    Being new to 10P but an old school shoot style wrestler, I have seen a fair amount of posturing in many gyms/dojos. At this point in my life at 40, I have no interest in competing but more learning the techniques that are unique to 10P. Getting crushed by someone far more advanced teaches me nothing other than whoever I am rolling with doesn't want to get tapped by a "new" guy. The more videos I watch of vastly far more experienced people, the more of a fan I become of the "slow" roll. Again, I think it is different for every individual in what they are wanting to accomplish by either competing or just training to learn technique. If you want to compete, then you need to roll at 100% or close.

Today's game is a lot more gentlemanly than 10+ years ago. "Tap or snap" was something I have seen personally a number of times in gyms usually given by a far more advanced trainer because the new tough guy didn't tap to a veteran. Met a guy from the New Japan Dojo in 2000 who used to come to the US every year just to train around the country. He got his ankle snapped by Sakuraba the first time he rolled with him because he didn't tap from an ankle lock. He returned the favor to a student at Dean Malenko's school who refused to tap to a choke & Dean had to revive him. That's just the way it was then especially to the veterans. I saw and heard enough stories like this early on to know there is no call for being a tough guy in the gym or you might end up paying for it. Even Hulk Hogan got his ankle snapped the first day he walked into Hiro Matsuda's school by Hiro himself.

If you want to compete roll as such with like minded folks, no need for that if you just want to learn technique in my opinion.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Searle View Post
    Everyone has good points. I think I should define what's going down in my mind.
    A) you out weigh me by 50lbs. Advantage you
    B) I'm not attacking you I'm playing defense and position, advantage you
    C) I'm playing bottom game advantage you
    D) I out rank you and have been doing this a while advantage me

If you've ever watched me roll I am very reserved and composed, I have no problem playing from a shitty posish, if you want to roll with intensity I'm OK with that white to black, but don't start the roll at 100% flailing your limbs at me and using every ounce of muscle you have trying to flip me with 0 technique or pass. Start out at a decent pace and turn it up. As a white belt you should be going with no intensity, you're not gonna learn shit. This guy is an MMA fighter so he has a decent amount of experience.

My issue is you are actually trying to intentionally injure me AND he succeeded, I won't be rolling for probably a month because he thought it'd be cool to drop his whole 200lbs on my neck when I was inverted. Thanks guy, now when you come at me with that kind of intensity and I give it back and submit you 10 times in a couple minutes don't you think you ought to turn it down?

Again I have no problem with rolling hard, it's the fact that you're trying to take my head off when we're supposed to be teammates. Going hard for submissions when you don't know the consequences is like firing a gun blind folded with your family down range. Shit might get ugly
    Ah yeah I feel you. It's not so much about the intensity as it is about the potential for injury. Yeah man. I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post

I'm keeping a mental note of this. Great advice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast