Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Hachey, yeah, guys will learn how to play by the points. But for entertainment's sake, I think there is a large enough group of people in the BJJ community that would rather see rapid fire back to back sub attempts over double seated tug of war. I could imagine the rules would be even more fun in no gi.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    I don't know if that's what he's trying to do. And if that is what he was trying to accomplish then he would have to add striking which is a part of the self defense aspect of jiu jitsu.
    I don't think it's so much the self defense aspect as much as it's about the attacking aspect. But I'm speculating. I don't really know. I just hope something gives the IBJJF some challenge in the prestige department.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    [QUOTE=David Rosado;231138 I just hope something gives the IBJJF some challenge in the prestige department.[/QUOTE]

ADCC, Metamoris, EBI. I get your point. Rose... talk to Rickson so he does it right like Gracie Nationals.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    ADCC, Metamoris, EBI. I get your point. Rose... talk to Rickson so he does it right like Gracie Nationals.
    ADCC/Metamoris/EBI can't challenge IBJJF it's completely different. You're talking about 3 tournaments where the competitiors are hand selected.

Five grappling is the closest thing thats coming to challenge the IBJJF, Hopefully Rickson can get enough money to dethrone the IBJJF Cartel.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    ADCC/Metamoris/EBI can't challenge IBJJF it's completely different. You're talking about 3 tournaments where the competitiors are hand selected.

Five grappling is the closest thing thats coming to challenge the IBJJF, Hopefully Rickson can get enough money to dethrone the IBJJF Cartel.
    Exactly. The prestige is there, but those mentioned are invitationals, not open tourneys. I believe the reason why Rickson wants this format its because he believes the points system is teaching guys to tailor their JJ for points more than subs. A competition with enough prestige and a different ruleset could effectively change people's whole styles. Or at least give an outlet to to those who agree with his philosophy that the sub is the most important.

I still think it's worthwhile to support it even while they're still working out the bugs. They're going to need data to figure out the forumula. They need competitors. Not just that, but I think 10th planet's style of attacking would do well under that format. It's not sub only, but it's something.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Exactly. The prestige is there, but those mentioned are invitationals, not open tourneys. I believe the reason why Rickson wants this format its because he believes the points system is teaching guys to tailor their JJ for points more than subs. A competition with enough prestige and a different ruleset could effectively change people's whole styles. Or at least give an outlet to to those who agree with his philosophy that the sub is the most important.

I still think it's worthwhile to support it even while they're still working out the bugs. They're going to need data to figure out the forumula. They need competitors. Not just that, but I think 10th planet's style of attacking would do well under that format. It's not sub only, but it's something.
    I agree with both of you guys. My hope would be that Rickson would make it sub only like Gracie Worlds/Nationals or EBI.

Awesome to see Rickson starting his own League!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    This is the best points format so far, but I don't like the emphasis on takedowns and the frowning on guard pulling with point deductions. Fights can very easily end up looking like Rafa/Cobrina in 2013 ADCC, just a takedown battle for 20 minutes.

I don't know how many times on ebr and jre I talked about how if I was forced at gun point to create a points based tournament that subs would count way more than a sweep or pass. I said if a pass is 3 points then a legit sub attempt would be 7 points. Been trying to get NAGA and GQ to adopt this format.

It's a great thing that Rickson is making it happen but again, point deductions for guard pulling are not good IMO. Look at how many fights Marcelo & Jean Jacques have won by submission that started by guard pulling. Paul Sass anyone? Big Nog vs Tim Sylvia? If guard pulling is suicidal then why is it so hard for guard masters in MMA to do? Think about it. Guard pulling, when you have a dangerous guard, is a fantastic 3rd option in MMA.

The main problem is gonna be people stalling when they are up by a sweep point, so it's back to the same problems IBJJF has.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    This is the best points format so far, but I don't like the emphasis on takedowns and the frowning on guard pulling with point deductions. Fights can very easily end up looking like Rafa/Cobrina in 2013 ADCC, just a takedown battle for 20 minutes.

I don't know how many times on ebr and jre I talked about how if I was forced at gun point to create a points based tournament that subs would count way more than a sweep or pass. I said if a pass is 3 points then a legit sub attempt would be 7 points. Been trying to get NAGA and GQ to adopt this format.

It's a great thing that Rickson is making it happen but again, point deductions for guard pulling are not good IMO. Look at how many fights Marcelo & Jean Jacques have won by submission that started by guard pulling. Paul Sass anyone? Big Nog vs Tim Sylvia? If guard pulling is suicidal then why is it so hard for guard masters in MMA to do? Think about it. Guard pulling, when you have a dangerous guard, is a fantastic 3rd option in MMA.

The main problem is gonna be people stalling when they are up by a sweep point, so it's back to the same problems IBJJF has.
    The problem is points in general, I wish they would DQ people faster for stalling.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post

True. Sub only is the best format. But as far as points go, this is a step in the right direction even if it's not the best ruleset. It's like weaning guys off IBJJF and getting them prepped for sub only. I think eventually it will become sub only. But his league has to get off the ground first.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast