Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    That was an awesome finish from muddy waters coach! Yeah, the restart was pretty bad but you still put on a great performance anyway. Good job.

Array

School
    10th Planet Austin
    Fuck that! You won that match! That dude was STUCK & confused. That was done IMO. 10th Planet hate at its finest

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Man, that was some bs.
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I had two matches. I lost in the final match ($500 match) by two points after sinking a legal toe hold from the Russian knot and the ref gets confused and stands us up. The head reff watched the tape and agreed the sub was legit but said he couldn’t do anything about it. There was allot of Portuguese being spoken… My opponent (for the second match) was a brown belt from Brazil.

My first match (guard pulls are punished by -2 in this event):
    Do you have a copy of the rules from this event? Couldn't find anything on google.

Array

School
    Paulo Formiga Team, Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil
    Hey Brian,

First of all, congratulations, you did fight awesomely. That armlock (how we call armbar here in Brazil) was really awesom

I was reading the post and i realise that you thought all that portuguese speaking could be a little suspicious.
    But i can tell you there wasn't any trying to influtiate the referee, it was techinic-tatical advises like to roll to avoid your submission attempt ["vai girando" ("roll, roll!") and "gira,porra" ("fuck, roll!")] or counter attack
    ["pega o pe dele tambem" (attack his foot) and "pega na americana" ("try a toe hold")]

So if it makes you a little less upset, your adversary and his coach, as long as i could listen in the video, didn't try to screw you.

But i totally agreed you had a good submission and it got screwed by the referee - it sucks, really really sucks man

I hope i had helped you in any way.

Again, congratulations, man, you rocks =]

p.s.: sorry for bad english

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Pará View Post
    Hey Brian,

First of all, congratulations, you did fight awesomely. That armlock (how we call armbar here in Brazil) was really awesom

I was reading the post and i realise that you thought all that portuguese speaking could be a little suspicious.
    But i can tell you there wasn't any trying to influtiate the referee, it was techinic-tatical advises like to roll to avoid your submission attempt ["vai girando" ("roll, roll!") and "gira,porra" ("fuck, roll!")] or counter attack
    ["pega o pe dele tambem" (attack his foot) and "pega na americana" ("try a toe hold")]

So if it makes you a little less upset, your adversary and his coach, as long as i could listen in the video, didn't try to screw you.

But i totally agreed you had a good submission and it got screwed by the referee - it sucks, really really sucks man

Hespect

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Pará View Post
    Hey Brian,

Thank you for your translation, its great to have someone that can do that here

When we were being restarted, the reff was originally going to put us in the same position and his coach had said several things in Portuguese and then in ENGLISH said “you can not start from submission!” and the reff listened to him and started us from standing. So he did influence the reff. Reff’s should not be so easily influenced by coaches… The head referee agrees the stoppage/restart was un called for in the first place as everything was legal.

Allot of craziness has happened to me before in grappling. Brackets redrawn mid division, opponent not having to weigh in, reff shoving a nearly swept guy back on top of me because “we were close to out of bounds”.
    And in all that, I try to take it in self responsibility on what I could have done better in each situation. And there always is such a thing. But because this was a money match in a tournament I flew out for, I’m a bit more upset about it.

Support well run shows not the others

Array

School
    Paulo Formiga Team, Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Thank you for your translation, its great to have someone that can do that here

When we were being restarted, the reff was originally going to put us in the same position and his coach had said several things in Portuguese and then in ENGLISH said “you can not start from submission!” and the reff listened to him and started us from standing. So he did influence the reff. Reff’s should not be so easily influenced by coaches… The head referee agrees the stoppage/restart was un called for in the first place as everything was legal.

Allot of craziness has happened to me before in grappling. Brackets redrawn mid division, opponent not having to weigh in, reff shoving a nearly swept guy back on top of me because “we were close to out of bounds”.
    And in all that, I try to take it in self responsibility on what I could have done better in each situation. And there always is such a thing. But because this was a money match in a tournament I flew out for, I’m a bit more upset about it.

Support well run shows not the others
    I couldn't understand that "you can not start from submission!". Really bizarre. I can feel why you are upset. And i'm really sorry about it ;T

And, reading what you say, i just figured out that jiu jitsu lacks of organisation everywhere. Here in Brasil, we have a lot of these problems too. It's very common here our fights being schedule to 1:00pm and have start in 6, 7, or 8pm. These judges/referee misconceptions. Not to mentionate the "garfos" (forks), how we call the situation where the jugdes give the victory to their favorite.

It's sad to realise how far we are to get jiu jitsu completely professional and well organized.
    But let's keep going.

I don't know much about USA law system. But if you lost money on that. I guess you could charge the promoters on that, man. Even i guess you preffer to set this situation right in a rematch.

Saudações Brasileiras

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Hobbed

Array

School
    Legacy Jiu Jitsu
    The ref is a purple belt from TN. I don't remember his name though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12