Array

School
    Cody MMA

Capoeira Pass question

Is there any draw back to chin strapping your opponent during the pass? I was thinking it might help with the pass and to get your opponent to expose their back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    The Capoeira Pass is my best pass and a key part of my top game sub attacks too.

About trying to chin trap there: I personally feel that it makes my shoulder pressure wrong because it moves my shoulder too high on their face as well as puts my elbow in a position I don't like. The cross face with the shoulder does all of the above things you were looking to do with the chin strap. I always teach it as you should worry about what your shoulder is doing first and your hand goes as deep as that persons body and positioning lets it. I'm usually ending up wrapping around the far side of his neck/throat when I have him flat.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    What Brian said

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Thanks guys!

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I agree with what Barncat said and that's the way I try to play it.

However, you can make a solid attack series with the chin strap, yes. Absolutely. Sam Davis DESTROYS in advanced/expert competition with exactly that. It is his bread and butter passing sequence, and leads him right into his guillotine or back attack game almost invariably.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I agree with what Barncat said and that's the way I try to play it.

However, you can make a solid attack series with the chin strap, yes. Absolutely. Sam Davis DESTROYS in advanced/expert competition with exactly that. It is his bread and butter passing sequence, and leads him right into his guillotine or back attack game almost invariably.
    Sam seems to usually grab a guillotine style grip (arm on the other side of the head than standard cap pass) when he chin picks right? That's a different thing and the chin strap/chin pick game is definitely legit. I consider that a different type of game than the cap pass but its definitely a legit pass and I would say is even more common THAN the cap pass.

As I understood the original question by Martin, he was talking about chin-strapping from a normal caperata pass hand positioning. Does Sam chin strap like that? Uses that grip first to set up the above one when he passes the arm over the head maybe?

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Nah I just do the guillotine grip from there. I don't really do the other chin pick from there at all. But I'm trying to get swept so that they expose their neck or back. If you don't want to get swept then definitely keep the Brandon and barncat style pressure on.

They can expose their back by turning in or turning away and you can chin pick from a guillotine grip or from a cross face so just do what works and what you enjoy, Martin.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Also, thanks for the love guys.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Thanks Sam, appreciate the tips