Array

School
    Team AMMA

Rolling Kimura - the roll part

Just watching this instructional and noticed that when Milton 'cat jumps' as he calls it, his legs kinda go over the opposite side to the kimura arm as opposed to when I've seen Eddie teach it he shoulder rolls on the same side as the Kimora arm.

Difference I see is the postion you end up in, Milton more across the back, Eddie more parallel with Milton having less distance to travel to then attack from the postion.

Just wondering others more experienced thoughts and pros and cons.

www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    blank
    either way works if you're applying the proper pressure with your kimura grip.

milton is focusing more on the scissor and triangle finish so i think he was looking to get perpendicular for those finishes, eddie was looking more towards taking the back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    I have a version that's more of a flopping kimura. You dive across for the kimura and end up in side control. Way less distance to travel and energy and risk involved. If you miss the kimura a lot of the time you just end up in side control

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Sounds technical Mike
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Haha, well it's called "the fat guy flopping kimura". Better than it sounds I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    either way works if you're applying the proper pressure with your kimura grip.

milton is focusing more on the scissor and triangle finish so i think he was looking to get perpendicular for those finishes, eddie was looking more towards taking the back.
    Good post. If you're interested in taking the back, it's best to do more of a head over heels dive over the side of the arm that you have trapped. It's still pretty easy to switch to the armbar from there. If you do the flop that Milton does, you're going to have a harder time getting the back, but an easier time with the armbar, crucifix, inverted triangle.

If I'm initiating the position I prefer to not flop but if I do it as a defensive measure or in a scramble it's more common for me to end up flopping over. But yeah neither one is wrong or bad and they're both really solid tweaks on the same move.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Situational. I use all three.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Dreading this technique being successfully used in a ufc fight with big named guys. Want it to stay a 10P secret forevers. Same with the JNT

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    Dreading this technique being successfully used in a ufc fight with big named guys. Want it to stay a 10P secret forevers. Same with the JNT
    Cats outta the bag on the rolling Kimura man. It's been considered a staple of the Atos game for a long time, and Andre Galvao/the Mendes bros put in on the map in recent years, and then you got dvd sets like the Kimura trap coming out covering the same system. I'd say this style of using the Kimura grip to move around independently from your opponent is one of the biggest things in modern no-gi sport grappling.

Definitely not big in MMA yet. It'll take someone ballsy to do it for sure. The same way Eddie was saying how Dustin Poirier and Tony Ferguson had to be super confident with their darces to go for marces right off the bat in the UFC without even trying to finish from the top first. It'll take someone that's over the top confident with that kimura grip before we see it in the UFC. That's what i think at least.

The JNT seems to be a 10p secret for now. I'm surprised it's not been used more in MMA outside of Ben Askren and a couple random Japanese fighters. I'd have figured it would be bigger by now especially after the Joe Rogan/Onnit video.