Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    lawsons combat sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan Pepin View Post
    There never was a man born with a fighters hand who would ever be a match for Gene Lebell.
    lol, i havn't heard that in years, where can i get a copy of that song?

Array

School
    10th planet San Francisco

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Is that Ralphie May guise?

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    I wonder if these dudes ever do randori with resistance and actual practical striking.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    I wonder what size that belt is..hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    serious. a few weeks ago my wife and i went out for a drink. when i was in the bathroom a guy started hitting on my wife. when i came out of the bathroom and approached my table he started bragging to me that he was an mma fighter. i told him that i practise jiu jitsu, 10th planet with bill keeling but that bill is two hours away, maybe he would train with me on the days i couldn't make it to bills. He agreed, after asking what belt i am (white), and came over. i submitted him twice, he then grappled my 13, 90 pound son, who got position on him but couldn't tap him. i ask him where he trained and this is his master. the crazy thing is this guy has three state of the art schools, its a wierd world out there, thank god i smoke a lot of weed!!
    holy shit..........I dont know which is worse that a "style" like that is so popular (good sales pitch) that a guy has that much business, or the fact a bullshido artist is teaching "MMA".

Array

School
    Rōnin
    look at the awesome power of aikido

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    I'm kind of taken back by this thread and the comments on it. Very immature and bullyish. The video is of a self defense demo at a traditional karate tournament. While I know that this is a bjj oriented forum, understand that I hold belts in three forms of traditional karate. And for those of you who have never practiced a traditional art to put it down, and more importantly, to make fun of someone who is overweight, is beyond me and many others on this forum. If that same guy came into a tpjj school and asked to join, would you all tell him he is too fat to train. You should appreciate all those who train and take their training seriously. I know that you all take your bjj seriously, so just try to understand that this guy takes his seriously. I tell people in my town, that while I do not think some martial arts are as effective as others, any martial art is better than none. Traditional martial arts teach some people with no skills whatsoever to be able to react to certain situations better than someone who has no training. Give the guy a break, he is trying to better himself in one way, which is better than doing nothing at all.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    I agree with Frank, about the weight issue. What I am amazed by is this guy still makes $$$ with lineage to a fraud (self admitted on court tv). Frank Dux... And I have taken traditional martial arts and my honest opinion is they provide false security for most. don't take me wrong, practicing striking and kicking and keeping in general good shape is good for anyone. But to think that a "kata" is still going to work in an actual fight is silly. Or that after training for two years in a martial art and getting a Black Belt that you are able to "handle" yourself in a self defense situation. Now I had a rough childhood and was in wayyy too many fights. I have never seen a TMA work outside the Dojo, except once on youtube... Once again this is only my opinion, but it is one based off of experience not theory. I do not discredit any one's loyalty and dedication to any art. One of my students Mike has 20 years in TMA and has several Black Belts. But he will admit as to their actual effectiveness in a fight. Not trying to offend, just trying to keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    I'm kind of taken back by this thread and the comments on it. Very immature and bullyish. The video is of a self defense demo at a traditional karate tournament. While I know that this is a bjj oriented forum, understand that I hold belts in three forms of traditional karate. And for those of you who have never practiced a traditional art to put it down, and more importantly, to make fun of someone who is overweight, is beyond me and many others on this forum. If that same guy came into a tpjj school and asked to join, would you all tell him he is too fat to train. You should appreciate all those who train and take their training seriously. I know that you all take your bjj seriously, so just try to understand that this guy takes his seriously. I tell people in my town, that while I do not think some martial arts are as effective as others, any martial art is better than none. Traditional martial arts teach some people with no skills whatsoever to be able to react to certain situations better than someone who has no training. Give the guy a break, he is trying to better himself in one way, which is better than doing nothing at all.
    Issue isnt that he is TMA (for me) or heavy. Its that he is "trained" by a long outed fraud, and is apparently also training guys for MMA competition. That is borderline criminal IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast