Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Ronin

Need advice on where to train

For the past 6 months or so I've been training at a Roberto Traven affiliated school. When I started there the instructor said he was fine with me going nogi everyday. Last week however he told me that I have to get a gi if I want to continue training there. After that I decided to go check out another school in the area. The other school is more of an mma place, but they do some nogi jiu jitsu. I went to one class and found out that they only do jiu jitsu 2 nights per week, the rest of the time its striking or wrestling. Now striking is cool and all, but I'd really like to have 4 or 5 nights of jiu jitsu.

My question is; should I switch to the other school and do less jiu jitsu? Or should I just start wearing a gi?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    My gym is 50% gi, 50% no gi. I do both, but I make sure to play very similar in both. This way my overall jiu jitsu is helped while not limiting me to a style which is not transferable, depending on the gear used. Also, most jj places down here (and there's a lot) only do one night of nogi per week. So three sessions of nogi per week is a steal round here.

Some jiu jitsu is better than no jiu jitsu
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah Macy View Post
    For the past 6 months or so I've been training at a Roberto Traven affiliated school. When I started there the instructor said he was fine with me going nogi everyday. Last week however he told me that I have to get a gi if I want to continue training there. After that I decided to go check out another school in the area. The other school is more of an mma place, but they do some nogi jiu jitsu. I went to one class and found out that they only do jiu jitsu 2 nights per week, the rest of the time its striking or wrestling. Now striking is cool and all, but I'd really like to have 4 or 5 nights of jiu jitsu.

My question is; should I switch to the other school and do less jiu jitsu? Or should I just start wearing a gi?
    Gi does make your NoGI game better....

No but seriouslly, I would either just suck it up and train in the gi due to there being no other option, Or maybe talk with that MMA gym and maybe setup a hotbox and create your own No Gi class there so then you could do it more than 2x week.
    Thats how i started up, we where training at of a spare bedroom (Shawn Kilpatrick and I) and we found this little MMA gym here in GP, they only taught GI, which was a joke, so id hit the open mat and just work on 10P stuff. Spoke with the owner and started teaching No Gi, got my hotbox going then the rest was history.
    In the end tho its really up to you and how you feel, people shit on blue belts working toward affliations and hotboxs but honestly if you put in the work you can Change you life for the better. My life dope Hope this helps a little?
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Reason why i bring up the hotbox idea is because you seemed like you where thinking of doing one in SC awhile back
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    I'm also in favor of you bringing 10P to SC.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    One of my blue belts just moved about 35 mins from you. Get up with him and get some mat time in. If you want to start a hotbox, he's the guy you need to get in touch with first. You guys, working together, could do some big things. His name is chas trantham. Look him up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    One of my blue belts just moved about 35 mins from you. Get up with him and get some mat time in. If you want to start a hotbox, he's the guy you need to get in touch with first. You guys, working together, could do some big things. His name is chas trantham. Look him up.
    Powerful
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Does your goal set involve MMA at all?
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Alexander View Post
    Reason why i bring up the hotbox idea is because you seemed like you where thinking of doing one in SC awhile back
    I'm working on a hotbox. Gotta get my 10 wins on video and I need a new sponsor instructor due to Gerald Strebendt's current predicament. I'm talking to Chas Trantham on Facebook right now to figure out when we can get together.
    Biggest thing right now is the 10 wins on video. I have 3 right now, and I don't have a lot of money for entering tournaments, but I'm trying to make it whenever I can.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Does your goal set involve MMA at all?
    I've thought that maybe I'll do mma eventually, but right now I'm really just focused on jiu jitsu. Also, the school I've been going to has an mma program, but its small and its not their main focus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast