Thread: Podcast format?

Array

School
    Sergio Penha

Podcast format?

What's up everyone?

I've been playing around with the format of OpenMatRadio lately. Do you prefer short/targeted interviews like our Stripes Series I just released? Longer format solo guest interviews like we normally have? Round-table discussions? What about audio documentary style like our Movement Mixtape Series and our latest release with Suresh's Beyond the Mat?

As always if you suggestions on format, episode length, content that isn't being covered, guest suggestions etc let me know! For the benefit of everyone that has podcasts I'd like to keep the discussion as open as possible.

Thanks,

Paul

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I like the long form. I use podcasts for road trips, so I like being able to keep the same one going while I'm driving.

Also, I don't think anybody ever gives their real opinion on short interviews.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I don't think I've heard your podcast, but I do listen to Talking Dead, Joe Rogan, Eddie Bravo on occasion, and more recently the Eddie Trunk podcast. I think podcasts work best around the 90 minute mark and it should be a bit unfocused. It should be a conversation rather than an interview. So maybe we hear about Keenan Cornealeous's favorite movies rather than hearing about his favorite jiu jitsu techniques.

I do a podcast also. It's photography based and its called "Camera Work". I spoke about photographing Eddie on an episode a while back. That excerpt is below for anyone who might be interested in hearing it.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I really love and appreciate the podcasts you guys do. I have listened to a lot of them. I think you guys are doing it right, with your one on one interviews, or even when you interview two people, but I don't think you would want to get into interviewing more than that, at the risk of it becoming chaotic or unfocused.
    I find your questions are always on point and lead to deep discussions.
    My only complaint is the same as I told you a year ago: the audio levels can be inconsistent. A lot of your interviews are conducted over the phone, and the audio is quiet, which of course leads the listener to turn it up. Then you cut to a narrative for a second and play the OMR jingle, and it is twice as loud as the interview.
    for a guy like me who listens at work, that leaves me scrambling with the mouse to adjust my volume before my boss comes over and complains, haha!
    But I love what you do, and I encourage people to listen when it comes up in coversation. If you have tshirts, I want to buy one too.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    London
    I saw Kurzys comments about audio levels. I run my podcast files through the Auphonic and it takes out hiss, hum, and balances the levels automatically then it emails you the finished file. It's free, Auphonic.com I have a podcast for gardeners, I'm currently ranked top 10 in Hobbies in iTunes New and Noteworthy http://backtomygarden.com

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    Thanks for the comments guys! Kurzy, I think you must have super sensitive speakers because you're the only person I hear that from. haha. I spend a lot of time smoothing out the audio and test it on laptop speakers and desktop ones. For sure we can't always control the levels of the interviews that aren't in person but I do my best to smooth that out. I don't use phones because their audio is so poor.

Shirts are in. I just need to re-launch the site with the new design/store. I'll save you a size for sure, shoot me a pm or let me know here. I really appreciate the support, especially on the boards. We don't pay for advertising and rely on word of mouth through the community.