Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin

How do you deal with sports injurys?

Anyone out there ever 2nd guess wanting to train? Let me elaborate, Couple weeks ago during live night i ate a pretty nasty head kick got knocked out and got a pretty good concussion as a result. Now i know this is part of the game and it happens. I dont blame anyone i have a great family at the Clare Hotbox just one of those things that happens, but made me think about not wanting to go back I love all this stuff i do but the thought of serious injury makes me worry. I want to get back to training but the thought in the back of my head been keeping me from going. Just a hard feeling to shake. Anyone else ever deal with a injury from training or competition how do you get past it and just move past it.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    I know how you feel man, I have a recurring shoulder injury from a few years back but what got me through it was just learning(and still learning) how to defend that arm (the love of the game also helps). Perhaps in your case, always be ready to defend the head kick

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Show up.

Thats how I deal with it. I've had several "career ending" injuries. I get broken, and I keep showing up.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    I think it's natural to be reticent after any troubling injury. i had a parachuting accident at work where my chute collapsed about 30 ft before I landed so I landed on my shoulder/back and messed my back up a bit. Herniated some discs because of it and felt like I was guarding the injury for a while and that definitely hurt my training. But, I think if you just make yourself go back and train and just keep going...you will work through it and be much happier. I know jiu jitsu has helped my life be so much better in every way. Maybe you can take a break from striking and just work jiu jitsu. I'm really sorry about your injury and hope you feel better quickly.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    Not so much i'm worried about getting hurt and not continuing with training. Its my normal life the 8-5 i work and the thought of getting hurt and losing my job cause i cant do what needs to be done kind of thing, Having 3 kids and all those adult things called bills just never really thought of it I guess til that happened. Now i understand that something could happen on the way to work outside of my control thats just life, but to willing but my self in situations that could possibly result in injury is a weird idea if you really think about it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Displace the worry in your head with positive thoughts man. Whatever you believe in, now is your chance to learn to depend and fully trust in it. Peace comes from trusting.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Most grappling injuries, I don't really care about.

But, brain related injuries are scary for the long term. I think you're right to be worried about concussions.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Let stuff heal and get back in. For me the hardest part is not training while recovering from an injury or starting too soon again and re-injuring the same spot. For instance, if I tweaked my knee and the Doctor said rest it for 6 weeks don't do anything wear a brace; by week 3 I would be rationalizing a reason to take the brace off and try and start moving it again. If you got your head rung during striking take a break from sparring, no reason to stop rolling or training. Don't look for excuses of why can't do something look for reasons why should be able to do something.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    You won't take head kicks in Jiu Jitsu tournaments. MMA is a different monster. You know the risks.
    I am a competent striker with wicked kicking ability. I would love to do MMA...
    ...but I know the risks and I don't love the idea enough to take a soccer kick to the head for it.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    RMNU
    MMA is not for everyone. However, I believe Jiu Jitsu is ��.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast