Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast

Arm Triangle Help

Can somebody please elaborate on what Eddie means by "twisting" your opponents shoulders, when you have an arm triangle from the top? IE if i have an arm triangle with his left arm trapped, should I be twisting him to his left or right?

with his left arm trapped,
    your left knee on his belly/hip,
    you are pushing him away with your knee
    pulling down and in with your arms
    - your left elbow moving down towards his shoulder slightly,
    imagine trying to force his right ear to his right shoulder.

hope that makes sense.

In general the 10th Planet style of finishing the arm triangle/side choke tends to be a little more cranky and arm squeezy than what I prefer, but it obviously works great still. Almost everything in jiu-jitsu is personal preference and that's why it's so cool. If their left arm is trapped, no matter what grip you're using, try to focus on getting his left shoulder to roll into the side of his neck. That's going to close off the artery, so I would say to twist his trapped shoulder more to your left / his right, this way it will drop into the side of his neck and put him to sleep. The trapped shoulder is always the problem side.

The open side that you're closing off with your own arm is almost never an issue. This goes for any leg or arm triangle (triangle, reverse triangle, inverted triangle, side choke, darce, anaconda....)

Watch the first 90 seconds of this video. This might be what Eddie meant by twisting. if not then hopefully you can at least pick up something from the video. This preview clip also has a killer arm-in RNC/nogi ezekiel finish at about 3:50. It may be in a gi, but the entire dvd is nogi friendly, and Hall is obviously an incredible nogi athlete, and this dvd helped out my side chokes, darces, and other head and arm chokes so much. Definitely worth the money.

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    In general the 10th Planet style of finishing the arm triangle/side choke tends to be a little more cranky and arm squeezy than what I prefer, but it obviously works great still.

word, i finish my arm triangles based on how ryan hall shows. more using my collarbone pushing into the arm. i almost never have to squeeze my bicep to get the finish and its not really cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    word, i finish my arm triangles based on how ryan hall shows. more using my collarbone pushing into the arm. i almost never have to squeeze my bicep to get the finish and its not really cranking.
    yeah man. I've said it before but after buying that dvd set I've found that I'm able to finish my side chokes, darces, marces, ezekiels, anacondas, and everything without burning my arms out. I think there's so much less power involved from my arm muscles, and when I get feedback it seems like everything is a clean choke and not too much cranking.

Array

School
    blank
    i hear ya

there is a guy who trains on an off at my gym and he is extremely resistant to chokes, especially arm triangles. after seeing those dvds i figured it would give it a try and he tapped without having to squeeze. that was a real 'whoa' moment, like a pure test as to how well that pressure worked.

and like you i check often with guys to make sure it isn't cranking so i'm applying the right pressure so it isn't a matter of pain to get the tap

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    i hear ya

there is a guy who trains on an off at my gym and he is extremely resistant to chokes, especially arm triangles. after seeing those dvds i figured it would give it a try and he tapped without having to squeeze. that was a real 'whoa' moment, like a pure test as to how well that pressure worked.

and like you i check often with guys to make sure it isn't cranking so i'm applying the right pressure so it isn't a matter of pain to get the tap
    Same here. There's different ideas with this too. I kinda dig what Hall said on the dvd set. Something like "If I want to hurt your neck I want it to be because I want to, not because I'm trying to choke you and I can't. So in a tournament I'd try to take your head off. But in class with my training partners I don't want to be hurting everyone, and on top of that I want a clean choke every time."

When I did a nogi private with Rafa Mendes we did a lot of chokes he had a very different philosophy. Almost everything he did was to cause more pain and cranking. For pretty much everything he was like just get your grip and rip their head off.

Then you got the quote from Glover on your sig from the darcepedia. Just squeeze and take that lunch money lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    That Ryan Hall set is BIG MONEY. Love it.

I feel like I have a fantastic Arm Triangle. One of my best kills, for sure.

I first learned it the old wrestling way: gable grip and crawling out to the side (think about how Lesnar finished Shane Carwin).

Then I saw Eddie's Impaler finish and I adopted that. I was convinced it couldn't get any worse than that. But I got to the point where I wanted to make it a pure choke, nothing but blood. So I ditched the Impaler in favor of that Ryan Hall style up there. Got to the point that I was choking almost everyone with 1 arm.

Now, I am going back to the Impaler. I got the blood choke, and I add the murderous pain on top of it for the ultimate in horror and strangulation.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    blank
    When I did a nogi private with Rafa Mendes we did a lot of chokes he had a very different philosophy. Almost everything he did was to cause more pain and cranking. For pretty much everything he was like just get your grip and rip their head off.
    that's interesting. i noticed that a bit when he covered the arm triangle on the site (with the palm of the hand on the opponent's forehead) i remember him saying that it also cranks.

Then you got the quote from Glover on your sig from the darcepedia. Just squeeze and take that lunch money lol.
    ya, i was watching it and laughed my ass off when he said it. i think it was to the guillotine after mounting to trap the far arm as your opponent tries to get to his knees (toward you).

great eye/ear to catch that

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I sprawl my chest on their tricep, grab both of my elbows, sit through to scarf, then squeeze. So tight they gag. After I figured it out theres no goin back. I think I got the finish from Eric Paulson, but the setup was trial and error. It is also one of my main weapons against skilled opponents.

Get real sensitive to feeling the anatomy of their neck with your shoulder, bicep, and forearm. Adjust everything till your on something squishy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast