Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Pretty strong words for the guy that self proclaims he invented 50/50 guard.

"I'm done ruining the sports circuit and am going to focus on ruining MMA."
    I gotta stick up for Hall on this. He's said in interviews on basically every podcast he's been on (Open Mat Radio, BJJ Brick, GrappleArts the list goes on), on his DVDs, and I've even heard it from him in person.

He always tells the story the same way. He learned the position from Brandon Vera while training at Team Lloyd Irvin. Brandon Vera saw it/learned it from Dean Lister who used it ADCC 2003.

The GIF of Lister doing it in 2003 is here.

All Ryan Hall says is that he was the first to call it the 50/50. He and everyone else knows that it was done long before him. he called it the 5050, Lloyd went crazy with the marketing, and it just started getting known as the 50/50. Ryan helped popularize the 50/50 for heel hooks in no-gi and the Atos gang (such as the Mendes brothers and Bruno Frazzato) really popularized the position in the gi.

He didn't invent it and he's never said he did.

"I'm done ruining the sports circuit and am going to focus on ruining MMA."
    Ruining how? I assume you might be trolling? In all of his fights he's gotten the takeodwn and either finished with punches or submissions. He's not out there pulling guard. This is the same insane idea among the people that debate sport vs self defense. People that think if Marcelo Garcia would pull butterfly guard in the street or that Rafa Mendes would try to berimbolo someone in an alley. Not saying that you think that but some people do.

If you saw the Ryan Hall confrontation/fight in the pizza joint you'd see him do what he does in MMA. He blast doubled the guy and put him to sleep. The only other person similar to Ryan's size that has been so crushingly smothering and pressure top game to roll with was Gui Mendes. Gui Mendes gi and Ryan Hall nogi were the 2 most pressure rolls I've felt from guys under 170 lbs.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    If you saw the Ryan Hall confrontation/fight in the pizza joint you'd see him do what he does in MMA. He blast doubled the guy and put him to sleep.
    I was there, man. You didn't see what happened before the video started recording. Why do you think that guy was soo upset with Ryan? They got into a confrontation over who was in line first to order pizza and Ryan ended up holding him in 50/50 for 9 minutes and 30 seconds before coming up at the last minute and placing his order first.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I was there, man. You didn't see what happened before the video started recording. Why do you think that guy was soo upset with Ryan? They got into a confrontation over who was in line first to order pizza and Ryan ended up holding him in 50/50 for 9 minutes and 30 seconds before coming up at the last minute and placing his order first.
    +1 for a legit lol
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...8121-36645.gif

Array

School
    blank
    Hahahaha

Bravo everyone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123