Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee stretches

Array

School
    Team Shark
    5. Error: Stretching ligaments, especially if your joints have normal range of motion.
    Stretching ligaments leads to loose-jointedness and can be effectively applied only with children. In adults, an age-related increase in the rigidity of collagen fibers makes any stretches aimed at elongating ligaments hazardous. When children stretch ballistically or statically, their muscles do not contract as strongly as an adult's, and their softer ligaments can be stretched (Raczek 1991). If a ligament is stretched more than six percent of its normal length, it tears. There is no need to stretch ligaments to perform even the most spectacular gymnastic or karate techniques. The normal range of motion is sufficient. Stretching ligaments destabilizes joints and thus may cause osteoarthritis (Beighton et al. 1983).

Array

School
    Team Shark
    Tendons can be strength ed, but they are inelastic.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    I have some questions on stretching overall and thought to myself, who would I rank at the top of a list when it comes to stretching for grappling... it has to be Eddie and his boys ( and girls of course) .

Well, I am not naturally flexible, did watch Eddie's videos and read his book. I also try to stretch about 20 minutes everyday however I feel like I hit a point where I don't get any more gains anymore. I have really think thighs and calves so it is pretty hard for me to get to full lotus even if I managed to stretch my hips to that point, but that does not seem to be major obstacle here. Overall I am about 3 inches away from achieving full knees to the floor while heels tucked in groin position. But I have been here for a while....

Questions :
    1- Should I just stick to it and it will eventually work or maybe I should cycle around the stretching exercises?

2- I have been kinda forcing my legs in to the full lotus position as much as I can without breaking anything and hold it as long as I can, but now I developed pain around my knees. The pain seems like connecting tissue/muscle pain. Is this normal? Maybe I am pushing too hard? Maybe I am thinking that my thigh and butt muscles are not stretchy enough so I put the pressure on the knee.... Does the knee even have to be stretchable? Is the goal, keep the knees as solid as possible, while everty other joint around it very stretchy?

Sorry for bunch of question etc.. I would appreciate any input.
    It sounds like you're overexerting yourself. I wound back off a little and start spending some time in a sauna or taking more hot showers to get rid of the pain. Also, try stretching a bit in the sauna or shower once you're warmed up. That's how I maintain my flexibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12