Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    AJ is the worst, saw him on This Week in BJJ, right after american nationals. i dont think i saw 1 sub attempt in gi or nogi, he just hugged denny and stalled his ass off.
    would love to see some of these world champs compete in sub only and see how they hold up
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Alexander View Post
    AJ is the worst, saw him on This Week in BJJ, right after american nationals. i dont think i saw 1 sub attempt in gi or nogi, he just hugged denny and stalled his ass off.
    would love to see some of these world champs compete in sub only and see how they hold up
    They'd probably do great.

The problem isn't necessarily the athletes; it's the rule set. Rules determine strategy and tactics. AJ plays intelligently and plays to his strengths. I don't blame him. I would do the same if I were competing in that tournament. If I'm entering im looking to win.

I don't fault AJ or anyone else for playing to that rule set, really. But I don't have to like the tournament.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    The biggest thing I dislike about the IBJJF is the disparity between referee's and competitors. I've competed in a few IBJJF's and if you're going against a guy with a Brazilian head coach, that competitor will most likely get every advantage, reset advantage, and be allowed to stall for 10-20 seconds longer than a guy with a non-Brazilian head coach. (Garry Tonon's match against the Brazilian guy is a huge example)

Now I think reaping and stuff turns alot of people off which is fine, it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Yes the best a lot of times compete there.

No I'd never introduce myself to anyone as a world champion, that doesn't make me who I am. I've won gracie worlds twice, and at no point in time would I introduce myself as a world champion. If I won the IBJJF World Championships I wouldn't introduce myself as a world champion. That's cocky. Now if someone came in and asked who's plaques or medals those were I'd say those are mine.

The IBJJF is crooked, I compete in them because 10P gets no love from them, and If I can sub my way to the podium they'll be forced to listen crooked reason or not.

THE ONLY REASON I COMPETE IN THE IBJJF IS SO THAT THEY HAVE TO SEE THAT 10PJJ LOGO ON THE PODIUM.
    Not so I can say I'm the #24 Ultra Heavy in the world or the #105 Blue belt yada yada yada Bullshit.

I compete for the boys and girls of 10p so we can be heard. I figured that's why y'all compete as well (yes to test ourselves) but to contribute to the greater good of everyone under the 10th Planet Banner so we can be a force like G.B. or Alliance one day.

Just my 2 cents.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Not a great example, but during the bjj kumite it seemed that AJ got subbed an awful lot, cant knock him tho because it was to great grapplers, but it seems that the guys who play that stalling game dont seem to be able to lock in the kill because they dont actively work for the sub if that makes sense? idk
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    THE ONLY REASON I COMPETE IN THE IBJJF IS SO THAT THEY HAVE TO SEE THAT 10PJJ LOGO ON THE PODIUM.
    Not so I can say I'm the #24 Ultra Heavy in the world or the #105 Blue belt yada yada yada Bullshit.

I compete for the boys and girls of 10p so we can be heard. I figured that's why y'all compete as well (yes to test ourselves) but to contribute to the greater good of everyone under the 10th Planet Banner so we can be a force like G.B. or Alliance one day.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for saying this. I get a little sick of hearing about Worm Guard or De La Spider or a shoulder lock that I am not sure has a name but that we know about because it got used successfully at worlds.

I don't want us to look like Wing Chun or Ninjutsu or Krav Maga explaining why there are never any Ninjutsu champions in the UFC like "Well, the UFC doesn't allow throat attacks or small joint manipulation, they're just openly anti-ninja. It's not real fighting." Sounds weak.

If we've got something to prove, let's prove it and prove it wherever people are watching, neh?

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Things I hated: black belt finals had 3 straight close outs. What other sport's world championship has a conceded final? That's EMBARRASSING. There's no way to excuse that, I'm sorry.
    Couldn't agree more.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    It does really hurt us, in a sense, that we have such a negative stance against ibjjf and points tournaments. Pretty hard to make any argument for 10pjj when our guys only compete at small tournaments like gracie worlds (pretty much an all 10P event still at this point) and 10P put on events like EBI. The only people trying 10p techniques at the black belt levels in these point tournaments are people not from our school. These point tournaments are the only BJJ stage at the moment to put technique on display. The only other option is Metamoris. It would be great to have one of our top guys on a Metamoris card, but the hard thing there is it's kind of hard to build a resume/following for you to get invited if you're only competing at random unknown comps. You might beat some big names in those lesser known comps (geo vs glover), but less people will know about it.

It's not like the 10P system's techniques translate poorly in a point format. We go for subs often (a good strat for advantages) and Eddie's style in particular is very well suited for points. It's very systematic from quater guard to better position.

It's not a conspiracy that 10p moves are questioned. The only people to bring them to the bigger stages so far are Eddie and every so often from people outside the system. And that's too bad, because we have guys at that upper level. ADCC, IBJJF, any stage that has the eyes of the bjj scene, we need to be at. It's sad that when I go scrolling through footage of the top JJ comp of the year the only person I see hitting electric chairs is a guy outside of our school. We should change that..
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Alexander View Post
    Not a great example, but during the bjj kumite it seemed that AJ got subbed an awful lot, cant knock him tho because it was to great grapplers, but it seems that the guys who play that stalling game dont seem to be able to lock in the kill because they dont actively work for the sub if that makes sense? idk
    I was gonna post the same thing. It seems that when you train for points, that's all you seem to get. I'm sure he'd do great against a lower belt, but against guys his own level, he tends to just win the position battles. I mean, he did compete in a sub only no time limit format and didn't do great. That says a lot.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    It does really hurt us, in a sense, that we have such a negative stance against ibjjf and points tournaments. Pretty hard to make any argument for 10pjj when our guys only compete at small tournaments like gracie worlds (pretty much an all 10P event still at this point) and 10P put on events like EBI. The only people trying 10p techniques at the black belt levels in these point tournaments are people not from our school. These point tournaments are the only BJJ stage at the moment to put technique on display. The only other option is Metamoris. It would be great to have one of our top guys on a Metamoris card, but the hard thing there is it's kind of hard to build a resume/following for you to get invited if you're only competing at random unknown comps. You might beat some big names in those lesser known comps (geo vs glover), but less people will know about it.

It's not like the 10P system's techniques translate poorly in a point format. We go for subs often (a good strat for advantages) and Eddie's style in particular is very well suited for points. It's very systematic from quater guard to better position.

It's not a conspiracy that 10p moves are questioned. The only people to bring them to the bigger stages so far are Eddie and every so often from people outside the system. And that's too bad, because we have guys at that upper level. ADCC, IBJJF, any stage that has the eyes of the bjj scene, we need to be at. It's sad that when I go scrolling through footage of the top JJ comp of the year the only person I see hitting electric chairs is a guy outside of our school. We should change that..
    Ben Eddy gets it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    ADCC clearly takes the cake for nogi grappling accomplishments. This is unfortunately right up there under it as far as prestige goes. I'm not a huge fan of the format myself but would love to see more 10th P on the podium. Props to all those that put it out there. It's a super deep bracket usually and loaded with talent. I wouldn't be opposed to doing them if I could get some sponsors.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast