Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    For me 10th planet especially now with the added focus on the lower body submissions is closer to luta livre than It is to BJJ as taught in traditional BJJ schools i.e no leg locks until a certain grade, mainly focusing on passing the guard and missing opportunities to attack etc

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    All of the labels disintegrate as soon as we step on our mat. I really don't care where I get a tech from as long as it works and I don't try to fit my style inside of any box. Boxes are bad, mmkay.

I feel a complete grappler could be ranked highly in many of the disciplines. JJ, sambo, wrestling, judo, catch, LL.. they're all effective alone, but combined they complete each others holes and weaknesses. So why keep them separate? I'm a grappler.

Array

School
    10th planet Barranquilla
    luta livre is legit. only the particioners outside brazil dont have exposure to the best of lutta livre. they are grapplers. They wrestle and submit. So to compare it with judo is not aqurate at all. Is just a different apprroach from 10thplanet. They like top position b4 all.

I trained under Frank Shamrock for years, we had ranks, to me they dont transfer over, only bjj ranks should

I don't even think No Gi should transfer to Gi, I went back to blue from 10th Planet purple when I went back to the Gi

One of Eddies black belts went back to blue when he went to the Gi

I would agree that gi grades and no gi grades should not be transferable, they are completely different animals.
    But don't feel its correct to say luta Livre prefer top positions, my Luta Livre instructor would work all positions and he was from a legit linage, I would say I feel there is less sweeps/emphasise on sweeps in Luta Livre, normally a submission would be hunted from your position. for me BJJ is Position before submission and Luta Livre is more like. Submission before submission.lol

There are so many types of Luta Livre, where it is difficult to speak about a specific type of Luta Livre. Some academies prefer leg locks,some others chokes etc. In my academy I prefer my students to start from the back when training. At competitions i prefer my students to go for the takedown because we do freestyle wrestling too

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456