Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin

Monoplata discussion (possible variation)

hey all,

Just wanted to talk a wee bit about the monoplata in more detail. i was hoping the higher belts might be able to help out here. As far as I'm aware, the monoplata attacks the shoulder and is at least in that sense, the same as a baratoplata omoplata, and kimura.

I was watching the newest MTS and Eddie grabs the elbow and twists it around from there. Mono mount is probably my favourite place but I've found when I get the monoplata, my opponent has too much space to move, sure I get the tap but its not efficient. I think it could be better with a different hold.

In my opinion, If I got the monocontrol on their right side, instead of basing on the left elbow first, I would twist my body towards my left side and either base with my right arm or grab their elbow with my right arm (first one gives better base, second gives better control over arm). then grab their wrist with my left hand and bend the arm at the elbow at a slightly tighter than 90 degree angle. then reach my right arm through get a figure four or kimura lock or whatever you want to call it. then I could either keep it tight and twist back the other way, or fall onto my back and twist as I fall.

For guys who put a lot of time into the monoplata, twisting at the elbow works well, but I've found a lot of people I show this to, struggle to find the sweet spot. this is why i'm working on a better submission.

It would be awesome if people put up their own tricks and tips towards finishing the monoplata. If anyone is interested in learning more about them, I suggest watching Marcelo Garcia's dvds on the omoplata which goes deeply into this game.

thanks heaps
    Isaac

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    I've been going gogo clinch from there I honestly find gogo platas and logeoplatas easier to do than the mono. Probably have some small detail off that is probably the most important, or something like that though.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I LOVE the Monoplata. Prob my favorite submission chain in the game.

All of these videos discuss the Monoplata or some variation. It's all the same move, though, when you strip it back to the principles.

"The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    - Amir Allam

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I LOVE the Monoplata. Prob my favorite submission chain in the game.

All of these videos discuss the Monoplata or some variation. It's all the same move, though, when you strip it back to the principles.

So I noticed that Eddie triangled his legs and went from there but you didn't is that just preference or better control on one?

I can see that by not triangling the legs you can grab your knee and use that to torque the shoulder, which is probably less effective with triangled legs.

As you mentioned brandon, strip it back and its the same move. so im just kinda brainstorming different mixtures and seeing what I get, i see the kimura and monoplata are attacking the same thing from different positions but it seems the kimura hold to be stronger. Since a lot of dudes beat me on strength, im trying to figure out the best technique.

the other thing im wondering is, how important is it for you to keep them on their side when you go into the mono. It seems like you keep your partner there, right on their side but if they somehow got flat on their back, would that make a big difference?

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    I've been going gogo clinch from there I honestly find gogo platas and logeoplatas easier to do than the mono. Probably have some small detail off that is probably the most important, or something like that though.
    I love playing gogo clinch from the top as well! If you go Logeoplata from there be sure to switch your gable grip around as you will get much better leverage on the submission!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    So I noticed that Eddie triangled his legs and went from there but you didn't is that just preference or better control on one?

I can see that by not triangling the legs you can grab your knee and use that to torque the shoulder, which is probably less effective with triangled legs.

As you mentioned brandon, strip it back and its the same move. so im just kinda brainstorming different mixtures and seeing what I get, i see the kimura and monoplata are attacking the same thing from different positions but it seems the kimura hold to be stronger. Since a lot of dudes beat me on strength, im trying to figure out the best technique.

the other thing im wondering is, how important is it for you to keep them on their side when you go into the mono. It seems like you keep your partner there, right on their side but if they somehow got flat on their back, would that make a big difference?
    The monoplata has a much larger strength threshold than a kimura in my opinion. MUCH larger. Its Because your arms are removed from the equation and its finished by your hips. I would spend a little more time perfecting the angle before giving it up.

Make sure his wrist stays behind your back so that its finished with your hip rotation. If that slips lose, you might have to change it into a arm-bar variation (attacking the elbow now). The more you rep it and get used to the move, the less that will be necessary.

Array

School
    I have a new sequence that I am working when they explode and put their back on the mat. I just taught it in class for the first time on Tuesday night, but it has been big money for me. Not quite ready to make a video on it yet, though.
    - Amir Allam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast