Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield

A review of the EBI 2 event by "Why I Scrap" blog

Not mine:

I might never be able to master the rubber guard or the 10th Planet system, but I will say that Eddie Bravo Invitational might be a platform that opens up Jiu Jitsu to a larger market of both casual combat sports fans and casual sports fans. The EBI was created by Eddie and his partner Vic Davila, the voice of Latin UFC broadcasts, to bring Jiu Jitsu to television. Originally, the first event in June was supposed to be aired as a pilot on Fox Deportes, the Latin American version of Fox Sports, but that never came to fruition and the event has since been posted online by Eddie for free. The second installment of the EBI on October 10, 2014, built upon the foundation laid by Eddie and Vic with improvements to the production quality and the quality of competitors with the hopes to eventually get a television or live online broadcast produced as early as the third EBI in February 2015.

More click: http://whyiscrap.blogspot.com/2014/1...ational-2.html

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    He covers a lot of points in this. I always felt the rules about overtime and sub-attempt-escape times should be explained at the beginning of the night for sure.
    Granted, I haven't watched any of the EBI2 yet because of my work schedule, but in the first EBI, I was lost watching the matches. If there isn't already a clear and concise write up on the rules on the EBI site, there should be too.

The clock thing is a big one too. But all in all it was a positive article with a lot of constructive input, imo.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Really good write up with some solid ideas on small forwards steps.

Clock for the audience is a perfect idea.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Yeah, he makes a lot of good points. I agree with most, except for his comments about excluding IBJJF (for example) competitors based on style issues. I actually like the idea of seeing how they handle the format. And did he really complain about the lack of Acai? Haha

I'd be curious to hear Eddie's response, if he agrees/disagrees with any of it. I'm sure that some of these points are probably more complicated than a cursory exam can account for.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Some interesting points. I agree with most, although I was not there lol. An explanation of the overtime rules would good for new viewers.

Array

School
    Tupelo BJJ
    I like sub only and I like that very few things are illegal.
    If it was all about the competitors and their desire to see who was the best, no time limit would be the way to go. But Eddie wants to make it spectator friendly, which is good for the competitors from a "get paid for doing this" perspective. No time limit won't work for that. I don't love the overtime rounds but I can't think of a better solution. The first EBI only had 1 match go to overtime, I think. If it were up to me, instead of giving a choice, I'd have the positions for each of the overtime rounds set. With a choice I think a lot of people will pick back every time, not because they think they're most likely to get the submission from there but because they can hold onto it the longest, preventing the other guy from getting the quickest escape. Of course the ideal thing is simply to do everything possible to have the match finish without needing overtime rounds. I think having the matches in a cage would increase the finish rate. But that hurts the entertainment factor since spectators can't see as well. I'd go with just one wall. Then there's still 3 sides where people can see the action fine, and the competitors have an extra tool to use to get submissions and to force engagement. (Although getting people to engage was definitely not a problem at EBI 1. They were all pretty balls out from start to finish.)