New to rubber guard, some qusstions. Clearing neck and so forth.

I dont go to a 10th planet school but I'm subscribed to MTS and try to practice every time I go to class. I have to preface this post by saying I've been doing BJJ for less than 3mos.

I have a question. Today I was practicing rubber guard. I get "perfect mission control", zombie and then NY. Most people in my gym will give me this freebie because they don't really know rubber guard. From here, I double bagged and I went to clear the neck to go to Chill Dog. Here's the problem.

Every time I've tried to experiment with that against someone who doesn't know rubber guard, their instinct is to literally do a pushup and posture up. especially with the hand on the mat. Almost always this allows me to kung fu without using my hands because they are posturing with their chin up. Wasn't able to finish a gogo because they were defending with their hand against my foot and eventually postured out.

But I have a question about clearing the neck to get to chill dog. When you're in New York and you clear the neck, you should double bag so they don't posture up and slip out while you clear the neck...
    Why can't I do a "pseudo invisible collar" while in New York by hooking my legs together so they can't posture up. Then while I hold them there with my feet, I move my hand over to the other side of their face and "climb" my own leg up to my lower calf and claim that space and clear the neck like that?

I'm not sure if this is making any sense but the hole in my understanding of rubber guard is, why must you clear the neck when you can kung fu directly from New York/Mission Control so long as you double bag? You can even go to gogo clinch it seems like.

My experience with rubber guard is not extensive so if someone can chime in, that'd be cool. thanks.
    Last edited by dlee427; 10-15-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    You can't Kung Fu from New York because their head is in the way. You can go Flying Kung Fu when they raise up, but I'm not sure exactly if that's what you're describing.

Crossing your feet in New York is New York Crackhead.

Double Bagging from New York is a great way to keep their posture down for clearing the head to Chill Dog.

Hit up MTS 58 and watch the Muddy Waters section.

Side note: Because my flexibility is still in progress and my Double Bag is weak, I personally prefer New York -> Meathook -> Chilldog if I don't take NYCH.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Dylan Ehrnreiter; 10-15-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Clarity

Array

School
    HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by dlee427 View Post
    Why can't I do a "pseudo invisible collar" while in New York by hooking my legs together so they can't posture up. Then while I hold them there with my feet, I move my hand over to the other side of their face and "climb" my own leg up to my lower calf and claim that space and clear the neck like that?
    The moment you let go of your leg to clear the neck, there's that split second where you're not clinching. You'll find your legs slipping down while your friend regains his posture. A high double bag is a safer option while in New York Crackhead.

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Hey, what's up dlee427? By chance, have you seen c3po?

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Through my limited knowledge of the rubber guard, the advantage of kung fu-ing from chilldog is that your elbow raises their chin, making the kung fu move so much easier. But from new york, your whole leg would have to go over their head. This can be difficult if they bury their head into your chest/stomach, also it gives them a huge change to posture up.

Ah thanks makes sense. So cant Kung Fu from new york because the head is in the way but if they were to posture up and look up and give me that space, i can just go directly to gogoplata without having to go to chill dog right?

What is c3po?

Ill check out MTS 58 thanks may have to experiment with this more

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    So you're in new york bag and they start posturing (raising chin and looking up). Yes if you have the flexibility and it works you can just flip that leg over (flying kung fu) and attack for a gogo, sorcerer etc. However keep in mind this is something only low level opponents will do (Raising chin up) in that position. It will be much more difficult to get your foot under their chin at the higher levels as they are likely to bury, hide, or drive their head into you. This is why it is taught to clear the neck by really exaggerating the motion of the arm and then drive the elbow in and away. Clearing the neck with the method you describe will not be effective at higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by gene k View Post
    So you're in new york bag and they start posturing (raising chin and looking up). Yes if you have the flexibility and it works you can just flip that leg over (flying kung fu) and attack for a gogo, sorcerer etc. However keep in mind this is something only low level opponents will do (Raising chin up) in that position. It will be much more difficult to get your foot under their chin at the higher levels as they are likely to bury, hide, or drive their head into you. This is why it is taught to clear the neck by really exaggerating the motion of the arm and then drive the elbow in and away. Clearing the neck with the method you describe will not be effective at higher levels.

Thanks, that makes sense.