Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Array

School
    Tupelo BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by imported_scott View Post
    So first of all why would any athlete or team care about what the public is betting on? That is the stupidest argument brought up on this post! Secondly Denny didn't do anything out of what any problems team or athlete does and that is have a game plan. Everyone here watches UFC and I assume bets on that and how many fights have been game planned there? I remember Condit avoiding Diaz and it was horrible but Condit won with his game plan. Bottom line is the match was exciting as hell and Nathan went hard at Denny and he was able to escape. Outside of the desire for both of them to "attack" at 100% that is the only complaint but Nathan did and it took everything Denny had to escape those. In OT which is always more exciting in every sport anyways they both went for the kill. In an age of non respectable athletes appreciate honesty from one and again the match was awesome so enjoy the match and quit complaining. It was a million times better than most UFC fights
    I haven't really seen people complaining about the excitement level. I've seen people complaining about the shenanigans. No, it wasn't a work, but calling it a game plan is a bit disingenuous. A game plan is a plan that you think is your best strategy to get the win. Denny didn't say he didn't try to submit Nathan because he thought that was the best strategy to win, he said he did it because he likes the guy and I guess thought that not submitting him in regulation would make him (Nathan) look better.

Assuming he was being honest about his motivation, that's not a game plan, that's handicapping yourself. What if he'd handicapped himself and lost because of it? Closeouts suck. This wasn't exactly a closeout, but (assuming Denny was being honest and not just guarding his ego at Nathan's expense because people were talking about him stalling) we didn't really get to see them grapple the way they would if they weren't teammates. If teammates can't do that, they shouldn't enter the same tournament.

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    So one I don't agree with the game plan. But if you "plan" to not attempt to tap a teammate in regulation out of respect or not it is still a game plan no two ways around that. Yes if Nathan tapped him then that game plan would've blown up in his face. Secondly I never once said I agreed with it as it was the match ideas hoping to be the final when I first saw the brackets and it was also the one I was most excited about as both these guys are simply beasts. Yes I would've preferred to have seen both going for the sub the entire match as well. The only thing is Denny was honest about the match on 10th Planet forum not sherdog or any other board. He obviously felt comfortable being honest amongst his family here and I am just offended that so many people blasted him. Remember although he is first black belt in the system he is also still very young and I am sure the lesson learned from this is to always go for the submission in a submission only tournament and sadly to not share your honesty as you might get blasted for it. Again I agree he should've gone for the sub in regulation and all of us would've loved to have seen that but I thoroughly enjoyed the match and I respect his honesty and his respect for his 10P family. This thread has gone too long already and I am sure this won't happen again from any 10P competitor going forward at EBI so it's a done deal....

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by imported_scott View Post
    So one I don't agree with the game plan. But if you "plan" to not attempt to tap a teammate in regulation out of respect or not it is still a game plan no two ways around that. Yes if Nathan tapped him then that game plan would've blown up in his face. Secondly I never once said I agreed with it as it was the match ideas hoping to be the final when I first saw the brackets and it was also the one I was most excited about as both these guys are simply beasts. Yes I would've preferred to have seen both going for the sub the entire match as well. The only thing is Denny was honest about the match on 10th Planet forum not sherdog or any other board. He obviously felt comfortable being honest amongst his family here and I am just offended that so many people blasted him. Remember although he is first black belt in the system he is also still very young and I am sure the lesson learned from this is to always go for the submission in a submission only tournament and sadly to not share your honesty as you might get blasted for it. Again I agree he should've gone for the sub in regulation and all of us would've loved to have seen that but I thoroughly enjoyed the match and I respect his honesty and his respect for his 10P family. This thread has gone too long already and I am sure this won't happen again from any 10P competitor going forward at EBI so it's a done deal....
    Shhhhhhhhh! Can you hear that? It's the worlds tiniest violinist playing you out.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789