Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Combat Society

To tap early or not to tap early?

'Tap early' seems like a phrase that would be in jiu jitsu's holy text if one existed, and it's something I've been told many times before.
    I understand the need to remind people to control their egos and not take rolling personally, and I also get the logic of playing it safe to avoid injuries but how do you practise fighting through adversity and surviving really tough spots if you tap early? I'm thinking of something like Tonon escaping Kron's armbar:

Do you drill these kinda things in situational sparring?
    Is this something I'm gonna have a better feel for with more experience?
    Do you always tap early?

Thanks for your input.

Array

School
    blank
    i find it kind of depends on the situation and partner you are rolling with

i think it is important to have a good sense of how deep you can let a sub attempt can get before you can no longer escape.

i would also mention that tapping too early denies training partners a change to really fine tune their control and ability to finish someone who is fully resisting.

while sometimes it is annoying to get an inexperienced grappler who doesn't know when to tap, when you do get them you know the sub was 100% legit (or that they are willing to get them arm broken before admitting defeat)

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Tap early when you're just rolling and tap early when you're a white belt. Tap early when you're a white belt in competition too. No disrespect to anyone who's won worlds at white belt, but the world doesn't remember your white belt competition victory or loss. The white belt gold is not worth the injury.

But when you're a black belt on the biggest BJJ stage of the world, you can choose not to tap. Sometimes it works out for you. Vinny Mag escaped Werdum's armbar and won. Tonon escaped and lost. Jacare let Roger break his arm.

But when you're a higher belt, you're so used to being in those bad positions that you know your limits. You know if it's worth tapping early. Kevin Casey tapped to a heel hook from Keenan even though it wasn't 100% locked. He had a fight coming up. But when you're a black belt, you're in these situations enough to know if it's worth it.

Tap early is a good coach's advice for his students. Especially when you're just rolling and not competing. I've tapped a couple purple belts in my time. Not because I was better, but because they were wiser. They knew that it was smarter to tap to a little pressure than to maybe get injured. Especially since right after their tap, they could turn around and tap me 100000 times. Haha.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Tap early when you're just rolling and tap early when you're a white belt. Tap early when you're a white belt in competition too. No disrespect to anyone who's won worlds at white belt, but the world doesn't remember your white belt competition victory or loss. The white belt gold is not worth the injury.
    Hey Hey I resemble that remark

I agree with you, once I heard how Garry trains, I'm starting to mess with how deep I'll let subs go. Obviously my extremeties are in my partners hands, but I trust everyone at the gym to not break my arm too quickly However I'll still tap if I can't get out

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    It's not about whether or not the tournament "matters". Whether it's a white belt comp or black.

The difference is the amount of time you've put in feeling the intricacies and the small details that all need to be in place for you to know it's over. It's the same as anything else, as you get more and more used to being put in an arm bar, you go longer and longer without tapping. Not because you are allowing yourself to get closer and closer to the point of tapping, but because you are getting better and better at relieving the pressure your opponent is trying to increase. You slowly start learning if you turn your hand this way it relieves pressure, if you raise your shoulder of the mat, if you roll with him etc etc. You constantly are getting a better feel of the small details of escaping and relieving pressure. Just as your opponent is learning the small details of finishing and creating pressure, you're learning the small details of not just escaping, but relieving pressure while still caught in the hold. You will increasingly get better at buying yourself time and understanding when your time is up and you have to tap.

So it's not about "tapping early" or waiting to the last second. You can argue gary tonon still taps early to armbars. He just has exponentially increased the difficulty in getting him to that point and he knows when there is a chance to recover and when there isn't.

Always tap early. Just start learning how to recognize when you're caught and when you can still relieve pressure.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I tap early to purples, browns, and black belts. I tap late to blues and white belts. LOL ...but seriously, who doesn't do that sometimes...

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Or be like Vinny around 1:18 secs. YIKES.

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I tap early to things that can break me and I hold out on things that make me sleep. I PAY to train Jiu Jitsu, I get PAID to work. I need healthy limbs to get paid. My babies depend on me to tap early damnit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    You a bad mutha fucka Chris

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    I think it also depends on who you are rolling with and what submission it is. For example there is a guy at the gym I sometimes train at, mma fighter, and pretty much a trained sprawl and brawler. and he only knows retard strength, and any time you let him get anything he will crank ti right away, which is why I dont roll with him anymore. Anyway when i did roll with him , I knew to tap quickly. On the other hand one of the guys i train with now, I have never tapped to him. he gets me in some tight tight chokes but I trust him to not go crazy and the same time he gets me in chokes which I feel super super comfortable defending.

While there are defninitely other facets of tapping at the right time, I think the opponent and type of submission are two of the main things that guide me to when I will tap.

I think ben hit it the nail on the head though. When you train the defense, you might be caught in a submission but the safe zone is a lot bigger. once the person is put in their danger zone, thats when the whole tapping early and tapping late occurs I think. and its subjective and people make mistakes all the time.

you could take a view of you can only tap on time or tap late. tapping is to stop injury so any tap that stopped you from getting injured is a good tap. if you think you could have gone for longer then why did you tap?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I just wait for you to hurry up and pop it so have the flexibility to get out of your pussy ass arm lock and continue beating yo bitch ass like I was clearly doing before you interrupted me with that weak ass shit. Sukka.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast