Array

School
    Scottish hit Squad

advice for an nyc trip over thanksgiving

I'll be visiting the big Apple from the 27th of November over thanksgiving weekend. I know it's a long shot,but I'd love to get some training in if possible. And if not,then hopefully some new Yorkers can give me some tips of things to do and places to check out.

Cheers, Kris

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Obviously you have to visit Marcelo. He just had surgery which is a bummer, but he is usually on the mat, doing the whole class with his students - even warm ups. But Paul is an amazing instructor, and Bernardo Faria and many other great competitors are there too.

Renzo's is a must visit as well, but I wouldn't get your hopes up to see Renzo. You might catch John Danaher at his morning class, though.

I know there are other great schools but those are the two you hear about.

Off the mat, it depends on where you are staying and what you are into. 9/11 museum was powerful. Chelsea Market was a lot of fun. Highline was a nice walk but it might be a bit cold for that come November. My most basic tourist advice would be to steer clear of the usual tourist traps (ie Times Square) or at least wander a ways from them, talk to locals, and make your own discoveries.

Array

School
    Scottish hit Squad
    My main concern was gyms being closed for the holiday weekend. As an architecture student turned bartender,my sightseeing list is fairly stripped down/combined with a bar crawl

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGallagher View Post
    My main concern was gyms being closed for the holiday weekend. As an architecture student turned bartender,my sightseeing list is fairly stripped down/combined with a bar crawl
    Worth sending an email and asking. Even if they aren't holding regularly scheduled classes, my guess is they might at least hold an open mat. Both those schools have tons of students so there have to be some people there who want to roll and can open the place up.

Array

School
    Scottish hit Squad
    Made a visit to Renzo's on Friday night,such an experience. Although training with jet lag is not my brightest move.

Plus,I caught an accidental knee to the eye socket,so was walking around manhattan with a black eye :P