Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam

advice for training at 2 schools.

I've been training for just over a year now, and the whole reason I started jiu jitsu is from hearing eddie on jre. But unfortunately I didn't get to train at a 10p school as I was already at loyal member to the gym I was training muay thai at. But finally after over a year I have decided that in the best interest of my jiu jitsu game and my love for the 10th planet system I'm going to start training once or twice a week at 10p near where I live while staying with my original gym. Naturally I'm nervous to break it to my instructor as I'm really close with him and am very nervous of him thinking I'm betraying him and the gym, so I would really appreciate any advice from guys that have been through a similar situation or just some tips on how I should handle it. Thanks!

Array

School
    RGA NYC
    It should not be a problem if your at a muy thai school and want to do bjj at a different school. But at the end of the day you pay for a service.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I don't know if I can be of much help, but I currently train at Atos as well as 10th Planet San Diego. I wouldn't say anything if I were you. I would just start going to your local 10th Planet School and act like it's no big deal, which it isn't. I train a couple times a week at both spots when I can. If someone else makes a big deal out of it, I'd say then you have some thinking to do.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    From experience, I can tell you that training at two separate BJJ schools will end poorly. Feel free to do it it, just know that at some point you will have to pick one.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I train at two different school right now and I have zero issues. It all depends on the instructors, I guess.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I went through a similar situation, the grappling program had completely gone to shit at my original gym, our coach quit, our owner didn't seek out a qualified coach, he just put the guy with the most time in at the gym as the instructor spot. It was embarrassing because we'd have random guys walk in and be able to tap him, which I always would too. So in my head I shouldn't be paying $100 a month to not learn and progress, I found another gym close by and started training and really developing a lot faster there. Now I use my original gym as extra mat time and that's about it. I never brought it up to the owner at my gym and I just keep it quiet, If he ever asks I'll just tell him the truth and that I don't see it as an issue. Hope this helps

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The problem occurs when you start competing. Whos flag you gonna fly?. If you strike at one gym and grapple at another you should be good. But yeah, it definitely lies on the instructor. And realize, whoever gets pissed, is the wrong gym. Forcing loyalty is a huge insecurity.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Being deceptive and not telling the other coach will with 100% certainty cause issues, and its a douche move. If you are up front and honest and he's cool with it, no sweat. If he has an issue with it, better to know now (then base a decision off that), than wait until it has all gone to shit.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    When I signed up with 10th Planet SD, I had just signed up recently for another year at another school. But, I switched over 100% to 10PJJ and am just gonna have to eat the rest of that other membership. It happens and it's worth it for me to help build our school here and devote as much time as I can to it. Feels like a family here for sure. Best move I ever made.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    In your case since it's two diff arts, I feel like that should be ok with your MT instructor. if you're only there say 3 times a week and you spend the other 2 days training jiu jitsu, if he's a reasonable person he should be cool with it.

To the points on training at diff jitsu schools-I've seen both cases, where the two schools are ok (although the competition question does come up esp if you run into teammates from the other school, whose side are you on, or do you go Ronin like I do) and I've seen other cases where the schools are cool and actually enjoy the cross pollination. I'd sit down first with your MT instructor out of respect and tell him you want to cross train jitsu, maybe you're interested in MMA and let him know perhaps he'd understand.

I visit a few diff schools on a consistent basis and have never run into anyone at any tournament (I seem to always go against a random out of state opponent). I record alot of footage but never post anything publically, and all the kids and teachers know they can trust me. I may be a special case though, so def do your due diligence and sit down with your MT instructor first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast