Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I think it's good to be in an elevated state of awareness, but you do need to keep your nerves under control and harness that fear into determination if not aggression. But some people are just stone cold killers and go out and do their thing.

Visualizing your moves and having some kind of mantra to repeat to yourself are petty common and popular in terms of the mental aspect.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Everyone is different. As a hockey coach I see 4 types of players (There would be sub categories to the categories BUT These are general)

One that only runs on praise/super passive criticism (Nurturer),
    One that runs on jumping in their ass and a more aggressive approach (The Bomb)
    Then the player in between (Standard)
    One that influences how everyone else runs (The Leader)

The Nurturer- Consistently reinforce their strengths, while giving a gentle nudge in the right direction. Give them the rope and let them climb up on their own. Usually I see these players as super introverts, quiet types, thinkers. May be slow starters, but are usually very consistent. They sometimes over-think things and are scared to fail. These players need positive reinforcement and very little yelling. (Many goal scorers/play makers)

The Bomb- Without the proper spark these players can't thrive. Some respond to a more aggressive approach than others. Usually these guys are the ones who you send in first to get the job done (Big Hits, Big Fights, Big Plays). These players are more extroverted, and boisterous. Very hard to keep under control, and will fall off the edge of insanity if not talked off the cliff. Need to consistently reminded that they need to settle down and focus. Fast starters but not great finishers. (Usually your tough guys, or big hitters)

Standard- Find the middle ground between the two extreme ends of the group. These group should make up the majority of your team. They take criticism well/love praise and will compete at the same level with either. (Extroverted but not as much as (The Bomb))

Leader- Leader players account for 2-4 players on the team. They have some of the strongest character and will lead the team to victory/fail. If the leader players become rattled everyone will fail. These players have attributes from all of the groups and are some of the most serious players you will encounter. These are the 1%. Use the leaders to help boost other players who are having a rough time. The leader will tell you what he needs out of you as a coach, whether its praise, a kick in the ass, or nothing.

Granted these are with hockey players, but I know that when I prepare my team for games, Everyone gets treated differently because not everyone responds the same. Talk with your guys Brent and see what they need to get going or stay motivated. I've talked to Josh on several occasions and he knows what I'll respond to and what I wont.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    Everyone is different. As a hockey coach I see 4 types of players (There would be sub categories to the categories BUT These are general)

The Nurturer- Consistently reinforce their strengths, while giving a gentle nudge in the right direction. Give them the rope and let them climb up on their own. Usually I see these players as super introverts, quiet types, thinkers. May be slow starters, but are usually very consistent. They sometimes over-think things and are scared to fail. These players need positive reinforcement and very little yelling. (Many goal scorers/play makers)

The Bomb- Without the proper spark these players can't thrive. Some respond to a more aggressive approach than others. Usually these guys are the ones who you send in first to get the job done (Big Hits, Big Fights, Big Plays). These players are more extroverted, and boisterous. Very hard to keep under control, and will fall off the edge of insanity if not talked off the cliff. Need to consistently reminded that they need to settle down and focus. Fast starters but not great finishers. (Usually your tough guys, or big hitters)

Standard- Find the middle ground between the two extreme ends of the group. These group should make up the majority of your team. They take criticism well/love praise and will compete at the same level with either. (Extroverted but not as much as (The Bomb))

Leader- Leader players account for 2-4 players on the team. They have some of the strongest character and will lead the team to victory/fail. If the leader players become rattled everyone will fail. These players have attributes from all of the groups and are some of the most serious players you will encounter. These are the 1%. Use the leaders to help boost other players who are having a rough time. The leader will tell you what he needs out of you as a coach, whether its praise, a kick in the ass, or nothing.

Granted these are with hockey players, but I know that when I prepare my team for games, Everyone gets treated differently because not everyone responds the same. Talk with your guys Brent and see what they need to get going or stay motivated. I've talked to Josh on several occasions and he knows what I'll respond to and what I wont.
    Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to share.

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA

Spitting some knowledge oss

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

That was great John. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12