Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Strikeforce Canterbury

Your go to bottom game when rolling with bigger guys?

What's your go to game against a much bigger, stronger, wider guy when being on top is not an option, breaking their posture isn't working so you have to abort the rubber guard and sweeping is pointless because they'll just explode back to top position?

How do you be offensive and attack in this situation?

I tried double wrist control and throwing up triangles and arm locks from there but just got shrugged off easily because he had posture, plus if it was MMA rolling I would've got smashed (luckily it wasn't)

I've only really had success attacking bigger guys with guillotines from butterfly guard or half guard

Any help or input would be very much appreciated!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    hi Jezrah. Definitely perfect your butterfly game. sweeps and path to the back are neat from that position. also, don't be afraid to stand up and take top position.
    Last edited by Slick Rick; 10-29-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Austin
    Reps
    http://www.phalanxfc.com[/url]
    submissionchallenge.com/
    Savage Essentials Homemade Soaps

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    butterfly guard works best for me against big dudes.

I like to try to break them down and armdrag as they resist and posture up. If they are that much bigger and stronger maintain a tight armdrag and let them help you get up and around them as they pull back. I also like kit dale's great white grip. working the russian two on one from butterfly or half. Basically anything that lets me go two on one.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    +1 on the butterfly guard sweeps. Works wonders on big guys that I can't do anything else to

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Gi: spider, DLR, and half. No-gi: HOOKS. Butterfly, Half, and RDLR.

It seems counter intuitive, but unless you are good at arm drags and getting their backs, you're going to have to find the best way to "carry their weight." Doing so, allows you to tip them over (rather than the SHAZAM fast sweep we think of with sweeps). Your knees, your hooks, something to where they are on you but movable.

Reps, yes. lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I use 2 on 1s with DLR and foot on Bicep(spiderguardish) vs big dudes. And 1/2 Guard.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 10-29-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I use 2 on 1s with DLR and foot on Bicep(spiderguardish) vs big dudes.
    Chris, you are a bigger guy, relatively speaking. What do 150 pounders you roll against do from the bottom that give you troubles while on top?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Butterfly guard for sure. I like butterfly for MMA and self defense applications as well because you can basically stand up and leave at anytime.

If you are in a situation where you have no fear of getting punched in the mouth, Z guard is awesome against big guys.

To me, though, it doesn't matter what guard you use if you don't understand frames and hip movement. Without being able to make small hip movements to recover your guard and without frames to keep his weight off of you while you move you're just gonna get your nose driven into the dirt, regardless of your chosen guard style.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast