Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast

I can't play Rubber Guard

My knees are shot to shit from a cartilage disease, it's not a flexibility thing, I have a hard time running. I want a good guard for MMA though when it gets really sweaty and you're tired. Anybody use any other guard that they have been having success with?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Prison guard and lockdown half are must haves
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I would recommend that you take a look at the Williams Guard (London). As long as you are aware of the weaknesses within the position, it can be very powerful and effective and really requires no flexibility.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Could try and play with Rat guard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP8KzgpN0Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    Anybody use any other guard that they have been having success with?
    The "Prison Guard" is a must have for MMA.. Big Nog actually put out a pretty good DVD on the closed guard which is pretty similar, or you can just watch the Prison Guard on MTS.

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    Yeah the Williams guard is the shit, especially if your not flexible been trying that out, love the options to armbar, triangle or single leg

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Yang View Post
    Yeah the Williams guard is the shit, especially if your not flexible been trying that out, love the options to armbar, triangle or single leg
    How do you hit a single from Williams Guard?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    How do you hit a single from Williams Guard?
    When he cartwheels over you to counter, if you are ready for it you will find yourself deep in a single leg. If your single finishes are even decent, you can effectively get a sweep out of it.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Obviously Im a white belt so theres that but,
    I dont know what anyone else feels but I dont feel stress on my knees.
    I think if you pull down on your ankle a lot, then it stresses your knee.
    Use your hip to rotate the lower leg towards your chest maybe?
    Again I dont know how fucked your knees are.
    How are your butterflies? Can you get into lotus position pretty easy?
    I think Ive heard someone say that rubber guard is only hard on the knee when you dont have adequate hip flexibility.
    Also post 7 on this thread here,
    http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...l=1#post211849

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    My knees are shot to shit from a cartilage disease, it's not a flexibility thing, I have a hard time running. I want a good guard for MMA though when it gets really sweaty and you're tired. Anybody use any other guard that they have been having success with?
    Hi Joe. Definitely, if it's not possible to pull rubber guard because of your health, please don't force it.

Try working other guards to your advantage. Use the full guard to get subs, set up sweeps and gain top position. Use butterfly guard for sweeps or submissions as well. 10th Planet has a ton of great gripping style guards. Lock down is a half guard that you can use to set up a bunch of sweeps and nice submissions too(vaporizer).

Rubber guard is just one guard in an entire system! If you can't use it, it's not the end of the world. There are times that my knees are all screwed so pulling RG just doesn't make sense. Make your arsenal such that you can attack regardless of what limb you don't have. When I injured my left pec and bicep a while back, I didn't have extension of that arm. It made the clinch extra important to capitalize on once attained. If I didn't get a sub off the clinch, I attacked feet in light speed. Trust!