Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Just start with open guard and standing passing. That will deal with the space issue, and correct the kneeling problem. That's how all my guys start. One starts standing and the other starts in open guard.
    I like that. Whenever I have a good amount of mat space I'll ask my training partners if they want to start on the feet. Otherwise if it turns into a game of tug of war into each other's guards, I'll just stand and try to pass

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    One of only two things posted in our gym:

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I trained with the MAC (Level 1) on Ft. Benning a few years ago and one thing I really liked was during live rolls the instructor lined everybody up, and we counted 1, 2, 1, 2. Once you knew if you were a 1 or a 2 you always paired up with the other (1 and 2). Then he'd yell, 1's down, 2's in side control or 1's down 2 in mount. And that's how we started each live roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    You a bad mutha fucka Chris

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ludington View Post
    I trained with the MAC (Level 1) on Ft. Benning a few years ago and one thing I really liked was during live rolls the instructor lined everybody up, and we counted 1, 2, 1, 2. Once you knew if you were a 1 or a 2 you always paired up with the other (1 and 2). Then he'd yell, 1's down, 2's in side control or 1's down 2 in mount. And that's how we started each live roll.
    I like this! You can change it up too every day. Work from all sorts of positions. Add the truck in there, deep half etc.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Idk, I feel like positions need to be earned. Drilling and positional sparring is one thing, but all the rolls? Idk

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hanley View Post
    One of only two things posted in our gym:

Unfortunately this is the other thing they have posted,
    nodogs.jpg

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Just start with open guard and standing passing. That will deal with the space issue, and correct the kneeling problem. That's how all my guys start. One starts standing and the other starts in open guard.
    This or starting in whatever position we worked on today (that is picked by the instructor) is what we do and how most high level guys train if your not starting from standing. Battling for takedowns from the knees is a waste of time and is not competition or real life applicable at all.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Neglecting standing is a big mistake. However, a couple good points have been made. Such as this: I think without takedowns, jiujitsu is for everyone.. With takedowns, it's still for most people, but probably not everyone. If you want to compete at expert, or become a professional grappler, or do mma, you must have a developed takedown game. And the requires starting from standing often.. Advanced classes, mma classes, wrestling/takedown/judo classes can fix that problem without running off the pussies, I mean, beginners.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Unfortunately this is the other thing they have posted,
    Oh man, almost everything in my life today has been Asian, including the other thing in the gym. hahahaha

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    Neglecting standing is a big mistake. However, a couple good points have been made. Such as this: I think without takedowns, jiujitsu is for everyone.. With takedowns, it's still for most people, but probably not everyone. If you want to compete at expert, or become a professional grappler, or do mma, you must have a developed takedown game. And the requires starting from standing often.. Advanced classes, mma classes, wrestling/takedown/judo classes can fix that problem without running off the pussies, I mean, beginners.
    Yeah, we start from the feet and teach takedowns everyday from day 1. Our new guys do fine with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast