Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So Metamoris has had 30 matches now. 6 matches at each event.

10 have ended in submission:
    4 gi (2 armbars, 1 kimura, 1 baseball choke),
    6 nogi (2 reverse heel hooks, 2 guillotines, 1 RNC, 1 scarf hold)

M1 - 3 subs
    M2 - 1 sub
    M3 - 2 subs
    M4 - 3 subs
    M5 - 1 sub

So they have a 1/3rd submission rate exactly.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Man it seems like there is no good answer to this problem except for EBI style tie breaker rounds.

True submission only with no time limit is impracticable for live viewing.

Adding rules to encourage subs within a time limit never really seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hanley View Post
    Man it seems like there is no good answer to this problem except for EBI style tie breaker rounds.

True submission only with no time limit is impracticable for live viewing.

Adding rules to encourage subs within a time limit never really seems to work.
    Pay bonus money to anyone that gets a sub or gets subbed. That way the best possible match outcome for both competitors is a submission.

Best thing I can think of

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Pay bonus money to anyone that gets a sub or gets subbed. That way the best possible match outcome for both competitors is a submission.

Best thing I can think of
    You might be right. It would definitely increase the absolute number of subs. But the question would become whether they are the type of subs we want to see. You would run into guys taking a dive just for the money. I mean on the one hand it seems like it would be good because the fans would get to see more subs. But, the more educated viewers would always be wondering if a guy gave up the sub just for the money. I think we could find ourselves seeing a lot of questionable finishes.

On a conceptual level, "you both get paid bonuses as long as there is x result" is not too far off from what happens in worked pro-wrestling matches.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    There's a big difference between boring draws and exciting draws, you gotta factor that in
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Your match with Royler was the most exciting BJJ match I've seen (and ironically the best MMA fight I've seen was Hunt vs Bigfoot, also a draw). It's just never going to reach mainstream unless there's some dude just tapping everyone every event and there's a decisive winner people can get behind. The ref should at least raise neither of their hands at the end instead of both I think

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    I think it's hard to fix. No one likes to lose, instead of the guy about to win holding on and stalling to win by points, submission only flips it and has the guy about to lose shelling up to not get submitted and trying to last to the end of the match. Metamoris is full of elite level competitors so they're not going to get submitted easily if it's an even match. Look at the UFC I wouldn't be surprised if only one third of fights ended with a finish, it doesn't mean it's any less exciting.

Array

School
    Tupelo BJJ
    I think a cage would help. It'd at least reduce the likelihood of it taking 10 minutes to get to the ground like in Vinny's match.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    So Metamoris has had 30 matches now. 6 matches at each event.

10 have ended in submission:
    4 gi (2 armbars, 1 kimura, 1 baseball choke),
    6 nogi (2 reverse heel hooks, 2 guillotines, 1 RNC, 1 scarf hold)

M1 - 3 subs
    M2 - 1 sub
    M3 - 2 subs
    M4 - 3 subs
    M5 - 1 sub

So they have a 1/3rd submission rate exactly.
    To lazy myself. Sorry.

Sub percentage of Gi v No Gi?
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Excuse the double post and I say thing acknowledging I don't take my competitions as importantly as I should, but in a BJJ match if it doesn't hit the ground within say 2minutes can't the competitors just be just give the choice:

Does someone want to sit down?

1) 1 person says yes, done, go
    2) 2 people say yes or no, flip a coin

Again, I obviously don't take competition as seriously as it should be taken*, but if i haven't hit the ground after 2 minutes have top side control for all I care, we are here to test our BJJ aren't we?

*All statements made above with a 5 win, 45 loss record
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast