Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    With the exception of the Diniz/Vinny match, I enjoyed the matches. Heck, I even enjoyed the 10 minutes of the Diniz match as it was cool seeing the rubber guard attempt.

From a practitioner's perspective, the matches have a lot going for them. JT vs Rory was incredible. I mean, JT is out of this world with his pressure and guard passing. Both speed and power, wow.

From a general audience perspective, of which I would venture there are little outside of the MMA fan-only who tunes in to watch someone like Rory, it's probably a problem.

Perhaps, one less match and increase by 10 minutes each match?

Or a round robin style of 5-10 minute matches in a particular "20lbs weight category" where you put 4 grapplers against each other for a large pot of money, kinda like the Good Fight does, where your wins are cumulative?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Poor Saku, did you notice the way he was walking onto the mats? His knees are way done. And he winced in pain when Renzo did that joke takedown at the end. His body is done.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    With the exception of the Diniz/Vinny match, I enjoyed the matches. Heck, I even enjoyed the 10 minutes of the Diniz match as it was cool seeing the rubber guard attempt.

From a practitioner's perspective, the matches have a lot going for them. JT vs Rory was incredible. I mean, JT is out of this world with his pressure and guard passing. Both speed and power, wow.

From a general audience perspective, of which I would venture there are little outside of the MMA fan-only who tunes in to watch someone like Rory, it's probably a problem.

Or a round robin style of 5-10 minute matches in a particular "20lbs weight category" where you put 4 grapplers against each other for a large pot of money, kinda like the Good Fight does, where your wins are cumulative?
    I'm for this. Thirty minute matches would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    There's a big difference between boring draws and exciting draws, you gotta factor that in
    This is really true. Some of the best fights ever have ended in a draw, including yours at M3

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Ho View Post
    Poor Saku, did you notice the way he was walking onto the mats? His knees are way done. And he winced in pain when Renzo did that joke takedown at the end. His body is done.
    He looked legitimately saddened that he couldn't pull it off. When he said that you could see it in his eyes he was sincere. The funny thing is in this submission only format I think he can still compete. He didn't have a lot of muscle, looked like he has shrank a lot. Makes me wonder what he did to train.

In the first 10 minutes when Renzo was laying in guard I kept thinking what would happen if this was another Pride Match, Saku would of been feeding him punches and elbows to make openings.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Renzo 1 in Pride is still my favorite submission victory of all time. I watched it with my little boy to show him what Catch Wrestling was, he was a bit leary of submissions for a while and when he watched that video he finally wanted to learn them. He cheered when Sakuraba pulled that double wrist lock with Renzo on his back.

I hope Saku considers continuing to compete in this format, with more time to train.

I really hope Saku returns

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post

IMO extending rd length just make it worse those long matches stall out some of the action for fear of gassing, I think a yellow card penalty of some sort the trick is to keep people moving until a submission and no draws in high level like that you get to a point were just not losing is your goal. 2 high level guys both being defensive can get boring.

Array

School
    HQ
    They should have paired the MMA fighters with someone in their weight class; probably would have seen more finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    There's a big difference between boring draws and exciting draws, you gotta factor that in
    Totally. I liked most of the matches a lot last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bruhn View Post
    To lazy myself. Sorry.

Sub percentage of Gi v No Gi?

There have been 4 gi subs and 6 nogi subs. There have been 14 gi matches and 16 no-gi matches. The last 2 Metamoris cards have only had 2 gi matches between them, and the first Metamoris had 1 no-gi match.

I really don't think with Metamoris that the gi or no-gi thing matters much. I've always thought that exciting athletes with incentives to finish will be more likely to finish the match no matter what they're wearing. I am glad though that Metamoris is going more of a no-gi direction.

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    Change the rules for determine a winner. In wrestling you don't have to pin your opponent to get a win.
    I think sub grappeling should be the same way. I don't see anything wrong getting a win by out scoring your opponent.
    I mean you can ride a guy the whole match and get near subs in a row and the other guys just barely escapes a and at the end the match is ruled a draw is kinda silly.
    Great action is great action tho, I can enjoy it either way!
    My real name is Bob Ritter and that is Mighty Mouse with me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast