Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
    Official word from Geo, it was a "darceatean."
    I wanna see what this is. At first I assumed it was just a darce finished from the closed guard.

Finish is at 2:30
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    I wanna see what this is
    I do, too! I look forward to seeing the final match.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Wild guess.. Dive for the jnt finish with the darce grip.

It makes it waay tighter.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post

Pretty sure it was this from the looks of it. Though, he could have been doing something in there I wasn't privy to.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

It really does.

Maybe I just don't use enough terms, though I dunno because I use darce, marce, farce, slarce, mad darce, and barce---Jeff Glover's terms. But I would consider a darce finished by hooking a leg and falling over the top and onto your side just a darce. Braulio Estima finishes darces like that all the time (http://www.estimainaction.com/VideoD...px?VideoId=362), Bill Cooper finishes them like that a lot too. I think Paulo Thiago may have done it on the UFC, or close to it.

Trapping a leg or stepping over the mount with the darce from the top, and also trapping a leg or two from the marce spinning under them, seems almost required at this point. People are so good at defense these days, if you don't trap a leg it's really hard to keep them from squirming away and taking your angle and leverage away.

Anyways I really wanna see the finish. I said it already but Geo looked awesome at the trials. I think he has a good shot to medal at ADCC. I'd love to see him against Cobrinha or Rafa Mendes. Hopefully the Cobrinha match happens before then at Metamoris 6.

Array

School
    I totally agree.

On top it about using your chest to force their head down. You cant do that without a leg trapped. Unless you outweigh the guy he can usually at least get up to turtle.

The marce is easier to cinch up in general because he cant use the ground for leverage. He can just use his body and mobility, which is why I also prefer to control a leg.

Ive drilled and hit so many jnt's that its instinctual in any similar scenario. Pretty sure they feel the same. If they tap before I get there fine, but im headed that way every time.

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
    I do, too! I look forward to seeing the final match.
    i've known ostap for a while now. great dude and bringing it at the comp scene. sucks for me to see him and geo meet in the finals, wish they could have both gone through.

I totally agree.

On top it about using your chest to force their head down. You cant do that without a leg trapped. Unless you outweigh the guy he can usually at least get up to turtle.

The marce is easier to cinch up in general because he cant use the ground for leverage. He can just use his body and mobility, which is why I also prefer to control a leg.

Ive drilled and hit so many jnt's that its instinctual in any similar scenario. Pretty sure they feel the same. If they tap before I get there fine, but im headed that way every time.
    Can you explain a little more? I think I got you, and I agree that it is very hard to escape once their hips drops to the mat, and once you get past the learning curve of not getting stuck under anyone, I seem to prefer it. It's also harder for me to crank down bigger guys with the vice grip. If I finish from the top I prefer to do the Lovato lift: http://www.scienceofthegame.com/fe/4...e-death-clutch it's awesome because it pulls their head sideways and knocks spine out of alignment so it's really hard for them to turtle up as you punch your choking arm through, and it gives you lots of space to get your forearm in there solid. I don't see too many do this besides Lovato and Bill Cooper but it's money.

It seems like a lot of top guys go for the top finish and then if they get any push back, they'll go to the marce. I like that too. When you say they can't use the ground for leverage, I guess that's what I'm not sure I follow. Like, how he has no base underneath him to move?

I'll try to head push down detail with the chest. I'm really big on just trying to get my shoulder behind their to drop it into their carotid. it takes very little squeeze or muscle, and can be applied from the darce, marce, closed guard, full mount, anywhere really. The detail is shown all over the place on Ryan Hall's set about arm triangles. I haven't seen it talked about directly anywhere else but it's helped me hold chokes for long periods without my arms gassing. i think with that detail I really have started to care less about pushing the head down more, or specific finishing variations.

As long as their shoulder is dropping into the neck with my shoulder pressed tightly behind it, driving it in, then they can roll around or go anywhere and you can just follow it wherever you need to go. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Mike Nall; 12-15-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Array

School
    Yes. But if you dont fold me up I use Bmc's defense. The only way to compromise my frame is to use a 4 directional attack. Grip, chest, leg hook, plus the floor and no can defend.

I think this is one of those things where we would need to be on the same mat for at least 30 minutes to sort it out. Both might be equally effective. But im confident in the 'grip trap hop' finish.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Yes. But if you dont fold me up I use Bmc's defense. The only way to compromise my frame is to use a 4 directional attack. Grip, chest, leg hook, plus the floor and no can defend.

I think this is one of those things where we would need to be on the same mat for at least 30 minutes to sort it out. Both might be equally effective. But im confident in the 'grip trap hop' finish.
    It's a nasty Angle, I've messed with it, Usually anytime you can lock that D'Arce grip up, whether you come over, under, through, or around, you're gonna take that guys head with you, and where the head goes the body follows.

The D'Arcepedia will show you most finishes, Sitting Through, Spinning under for a m'arce, stepping to mount, diving over top to force the m'arce, etc.

It's a fucking powerful position, BMAC's defense is on point (He credited Bobby Rivers) when he showed me, and I've been doing tons of R&D to find ways around/through it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast