Array

School
    10th planet Newark

Just got back from a Helio soneca seminar

Even though it was a gi seminar, soneca showed some sweet stuff off the sprawl. But the sweet thing was he mentioned Eddie like 5 times. Was telling us to put in our first hook like Eddie Bravo. Was saying more stripes or belts doesn't mean you're better, and said if he was eddie bravo he would charge 150 bucks and 300 people would probably show up.

Not sure where I'm going with this haha, but I found it cool the credit he seemed to be giving Eddie

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Yeah they're both under Jean Jacques. So the respect is mutual. To paraphrase Soneca, he says "if I say Eddie's jiu jitsu is bad, I'm saying that my jiu jitsu is bad, and I'm saying that master Jean Jacques is bad."

That said, Soneca is a sleeper. No pun intended. Haha. But people really should get hip to him because he is definitely a forward thinker when it comes to BJJ. I'd love to go to a Soneca seminar.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Super cool!
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    That's awesome. We had a Rigan Machado seminar a few months back. He mentioned Eddie a few times too. He liked how Eddie gives names to moves and that it helps to leave a legacy for a teacher. Rigan said he wanted to follow suit and thus came up with the Rigan Trap, basically a way in Gi to do a back step on a de-la-riva and then envelope the guy and triangle your legs, trapping your opponents hooked leg in the process. It leads into a lot of knee lock type stuff. Don't see why it wouldn't work in no-gi, but gi enables some handles that are always helpful (or stagnating, depending on which side of the fence you're on Really cool technique though. He says he showed it to one of his blue belts and this guy would go to other academies and just befuddle higher belts with it.