Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo

Cycling, Jiu Jitsu, and Recovery

Been a while since I posted on here! Gym splits, getting used to a Gi, anxiety, panic attack and health issues, living alone, as well as having chronic sinusitis since June and not tapping to neck cranks because of ego has pretty much fucked me up. Hello again

Anyway, I recently got a road bike and started cycling a 14 mile round trip to Jiu Jitsu classes to save on money and improve my cardio, but it's really starting to take it's toll on my body. Yesterday I was super ill, probably due to overtraining by adding an extra 6 miles to my route following 2 hours of rolling in the Gi on Saturday morning and then not eating anything substantial until about 9pm (terrible form, I know). I also felt rough tonight even though it was only an hours training. Couldn't even stay for Nogi.

I'm just feeling super lethargic all the time. I get at least 8 hours of sleep, but my diet can most certainly be improved upon. I eat lots of fish, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, eggs, avocados, peanut butter, gluten free bread, etc, but I feel that the times I eat at aren't the best. I struggle for appetite in the mornings but getting high as fuck at 9am isn't really a good thing for me to do anymore.

What do you guys recommend in terms of recovery? Multivits or something? Honestly, I have also been really shitty with my yoga practice recently - I hardly ever stretch anymore because my sinuses have this ridiculous pressure whenever I invert - so obviously that's something I need to get back into doing on the reg! Maybe just stick to the hip stretches and not do any downward dog style stuff.

TL;DR Started cycling to BJJ, feel really shit afterwards, need to improve diet and do more yoga, any other tips?

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    How about using a foam roller and lacrosse ball to do some self myofascial release? You can also use a PVC pipe if you're a savage, the smaller the diameter the more intense it is. There are tons of videos online on the subject but check out Kelly Starrett, tons of great info. Also Epsom salt baths are great to. Fill the tube with water as hot as you can stand, dissolve some Epsom salt and just relax. If you wanna feel like a new person, first smoke some herb, take the bath, foam roll, lax ball, stretch. Boom.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Also how much water are you drinking?

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Ahh, thanks for the suggestions Ryan! I only have a shower in my apartment, but definitely gonna try the foam roller and lacrosse ball. I drink around 2 to 3L of water a day.

Array

School
    In my mind
    I've been watching on Facebook homie. I'm glad to see you back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Chow View Post
    Been a while since I posted on here! Gym splits, getting used to a Gi, anxiety, panic attack and health issues, living alone, as well as having chronic sinusitis since June and not tapping to neck cranks because of ego has pretty much fucked me up. Hello again

Anyway, I recently got a road bike and started cycling a 14 mile round trip to Jiu Jitsu classes to save on money and improve my cardio, but it's really starting to take it's toll on my body. Yesterday I was super ill, probably due to overtraining by adding an extra 6 miles to my route following 2 hours of rolling in the Gi on Saturday morning and then not eating anything substantial until about 9pm (terrible form, I know). I also felt rough tonight even though it was only an hours training. Couldn't even stay for Nogi.

I'm just feeling super lethargic all the time. I get at least 8 hours of sleep, but my diet can most certainly be improved upon. I eat lots of fish, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, eggs, avocados, peanut butter, gluten free bread, etc, but I feel that the times I eat at aren't the best. I struggle for appetite in the mornings but getting high as fuck at 9am isn't really a good thing for me to do anymore.

What do you guys recommend in terms of recovery? Multivits or something? Honestly, I have also been really shitty with my yoga practice recently - I hardly ever stretch anymore because my sinuses have this ridiculous pressure whenever I invert - so obviously that's something I need to get back into doing on the reg! Maybe just stick to the hip stretches and not do any downward dog style stuff.

TL;DR Started cycling to BJJ, feel really shit afterwards, need to improve diet and do more yoga, any other tips?
    I think you are sleeping too much
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Cut out the cycling to jiu jitsu for a week or two, or possibly just cycle for a week or two and train a little less. Either way, your body is telling you something and I would cut back slightly and allow some recovery. You have to allow yourself recovery or an easy week every now and then or you begin to break down.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Chow View Post
    Ahh, thanks for the suggestions Ryan! I only have a shower in my apartment, but definitely gonna try the foam roller and lacrosse ball. I drink around 2 to 3L of water a day.
    You may not be taking in enough water. Try upping your water to 4L and then 1 L for every hour of exercise you do. I'm guessing you'll probably end up drinking close to 6-7L of H2O, based on your cycling, jiu jitsu, etc. Also try taking some B Vitamins to give yourself a boost of natural energy.

And also don't listen to Josh Passini about sleeping, try and get between 6-8 hours a night if you can. If you can get 10 hours get 'em and don't be scared to nap unless it fucks you up.

Try and up your carbohydrate intake (More Yams/Sweet potatoes)

Seriously do this:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5AC656794EE191C1

It's easy, and will make you feel 10 years younger.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    I've been watching on Facebook homie. I'm glad to see you back.
    Thanks Tony, good to be back

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    Cut out the cycling to jiu jitsu for a week or two, or possibly just cycle for a week or two and train a little less. Either way, your body is telling you something and I would cut back slightly and allow some recovery. You have to allow yourself recovery or an easy week every now and then or you begin to break down.
    Aye, I'm going to cut down the cycling a lot and have been offered a lift sometimes. My legs are ruined! Also took it easy in training tonight...kinda. I have 2 days off now due to a dentist trip which will help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    You may not be taking in enough water. Try upping your water to 4L and then 1 L for every hour of exercise you do. I'm guessing you'll probably end up drinking close to 6-7L of H2O, based on your cycling, jiu jitsu, etc. Also try taking some B Vitamins to give yourself a boost of natural energy.

And also don't listen to Josh Passini about sleeping, try and get between 6-8 hours a night if you can. If you can get 10 hours get 'em and don't be scared to nap unless it fucks you up.

Try and up your carbohydrate intake (More Yams/Sweet potatoes)
    Thanks. I definitely need more carbs. I'll start having sweet potatoes with my lunch too. I bought a multivit with probiotics that I'm going to start taking too which contains B1, B2 and B12.

Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    Seriously do this:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5AC656794EE191C1

It's easy, and will make you feel 10 years younger.
    Cheers, I'll have a go. A girl I was dating a few years back told me to do this and said it's quite difficult after 10 minutes!

Thanks for the advice everybody, it's much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast