Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago

Long term neck care

So I'm 20, and after 4 years of wrestling and almost 2 of jiu jitsu I've had my neck wrenched more than a few times. You know where you can't turn your head for 3 or 4 days after. (You instinctively turn your head to check out a nice ass, you're back to day 1) I do as much as I can to prevent it by warming up, rolling it out, tapping early to any neck cranks, taking a couple days off if it does happen, ibuprofen, stretching, yada yada yada. I even go to the chiropractor on a semi regular basis. I know this is a part of any form of grappling and honestly I'll take a fucked up neck over not training in the long run, but I'm still pretty young and I don't want to have to worry about this too much. What do you guys do to take care of yourselves that I didn't mention? Thanks homies
    Last edited by Nick Paul; 01-06-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    http://www.activeforever.com/content...on-device.jpeg if you can get your hands on one of these they will change your life.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    http://www.activeforever.com/content...on-device.jpeg if you can get your hands on one of these they will change your life.
    I just laughed my ass off, that guy's face is priceless. I don't even know what to say, is that thing real?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I just laughed my ass off, that guy's face is priceless. I don't even know what to say, is that thing real?
    Unfortunately this thing is the real deal. It happens to just look stupid.

Array

School
    If it really does work I'm all for it, that picture is just the most magnificent thing I've ever seen, thanks for the info

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Warm your neck up before you go to sleep, when you wake up, before you do anything. Back when I played hockey I would get the nastiest whiplash and use this cream called Rub A535. It's essentially like bengay. I think it's better, look into a topical analgesic at night it'll help relax the muscles before bed/ If you're cool with smelling kinda like a retirement home all day then apply after a shower.

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)
    I use a rumble roller on my neck and some "Tiger Balm" which is crazy hot but works too.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Chiropractor!!! Well worth it

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Obviously, you gotta warm your neck up and keep it flexible and strong.

But absolutely you gotta start thinking about strong posture with your body in EVERY SINGLE POSITION of your grappling. That will be more important than any stretches or routines you incorporate.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    cobra kai
    I got a neck injury for not tapping to triangles and arm triangles. Left the gym with a sore neck, wanted to take time off but my sis came to visit and so we visited other schools and I kept rolling. Anyways, I ended up getting nerve damage, lost what felt like 80% of my left tricep strength, could barely do a proper push up.

Asked around, 3 other guys in my gym had the exact same injury and symptoms, as well as 2 other guys from my old gym. Although 2 guys felt loss of strength in their biceps instead of tricep.

They gave me some tips and advice that has helped tremendously. ..

1. Take time off, at least a month or 2. Most guys said 4 months.
    2. Do nech stretches and warm ups
    3. Invest in a neck traction device like the link above. I got the inflatable one instead.
    4. Tap early and often when someone has you in any neck cranks and submissions.

1 and 4 are the hardest for me. But you have to do it because nerve damage can be permanent.

Oh, and I went to the chiropractor several times, and I usually swear by them, but they did jack shit for my neck. You really need a traction device which is more beneficial than a chiropractor.
    Last edited by ml82; 01-07-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast