Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk

Guillotine from lockdown / half guard defence

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a Gracie Purple belt at my gym - he keeps catching me with Guillotines as I'm setting up my lockdown sweeps - any advice??

Thx

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    A bunch of things come to mind because there are a lot of variables. Arm in guillotine? No arm? Is he falling to his back? Is he pressuring forward? I'm going on the assumption that you've already whipped up and you're on your side with an arm underhooking a leg.

First thing that comes to mind is that he rolls to his back to finish the guilli. If he does, simply hold the lockdown, let him roll to his back, block the near hip and pass to side control. If he holds the guilli just hit him with the von flue.

If you have his foot and he guillotines, just power through old school and get to side control.

If it's an arm in guillotine, use the arm that's around his waist to reach up and grab his trapezius muscle. Stretch the LD while straightening your back and neck and pushing the arm off your head.

There's an armdrag available if you prevent his hands from clasping and you get wrist control.

And remember to always whip that leg around and make him base out with his hands or force him to sprawl. If he bases out, you're safe because his hands are occupied. If he sprawls you always have dogfight.

Speaking of dogfight. In my opinion, all LD players should really get good at it. All half guard players in general for that matter. I've been seeing a lot of high level guys using this strategy for LD. If they can't get under you for sweeps, they'll get up to dogfight and take it from there. If you get good at dogfight, you have a lot more options.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Mechanic Sweep

Array

School
    Thx Guys - great advice, I will start drilling!

my top game has always been my strongest stuff - been using dog fight for ages but he is falling the opposite side onto his underhooked leg - he is a big dude though so the squeeze is on straight away, I saw a clip of Denny using the same Guil but no defence for it - I might incorporate the choke into my top game after feeling it!

thx again

Array

School
    Ronin
    Getting quicker at lockdown will help - I find that even if people go for a guillotine once I have lockdown I have such control over their body that I can push or pull them in a way that removes me from any danger before sweeping.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by apygav View Post
    Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a Gracie Purple belt at my gym - he keeps catching me with Guillotines as I'm setting up my lockdown sweeps - any advice??

Thx
    If You're whipping up to your elbows you're gonna continue to get caught. Try and whip to Perfect Double Unders, Hide our neck/head in your opponents stomach. Revist MTS. If he's in too deep, roll to your back pin his arm with your neck to the mat, and lift the choking arm up with your wrist to the sky. Eddie showed this at a seminar and called it the reverse von flue... (It's a shoulder lock lol)

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Perfect posture exists in every position

Focus on your posture. And it's gonna take a lot of getting choked before you find the sweet spot.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Awesome - thanks all

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    In addition to all the awesome advice so far, SHRUG YOUR SHOULDERS.

Seriously. Get strong isometric shoulder shrugging ability. It's seriously a life saver.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I used to get choked A LOT from there and started straying away from playing 1/4 and lockdown like Eddie has talked about. After watching Eddie dominate Royler from lockdown I went back and dedicated time to the position and now get choked must less often.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast