Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    @NotReady: Yes, I acknowledge that the Chael Sonnen effect is real. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is, as you said. I attribute this to the fact that the vast majority of UFC fans have never stepped foot inside a dojo. They are just ignorant people who want to see guys get their faces smashed in. And if that's what supports the UFC, I guess that's Ok with me. I believe, despite the hype bullshit, that the UFC has done a tremendous amount for martial arts. The fact that any of us are practicing BJJ is 100% a direct result of that organization, and I would like it to continue.

So we, as martial artists, tolerate it like we tolerate guys squeezing on our necks. It sucks, but it's necessary. I suppose I should be more tolerant of statements like "I could beat any woman in the world in BJJ". But that's why I wear a white belt I guess

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    @NotReady: Yes, I acknowledge that the Chael Sonnen effect is real. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is, as you said. I attribute this to the fact that the vast majority of UFC fans have never stepped foot inside a dojo. They are just ignorant people who want to see guys get their faces smashed in. And if that's what supports the UFC, I guess that's Ok with me. I believe, despite the hype bullshit, that the UFC has done a tremendous amount for martial arts. The fact that any of us are practicing BJJ is 100% a direct result of that organization, and I would like it to continue.

So we, as martial artists, tolerate it like we tolerate guys squeezing on our necks. It sucks, but it's necessary. I suppose I should be more tolerant of statements like "I could beat any woman in the world in BJJ". But that's why I wear a white belt I guess
    It's a generational thing, though. Not sure how old you are, but you write like an intelligent and mature guy. A lot of white belts are young, so at times emotions run high and opinions are pointed. Then they get older, move up in the ranks, mellow out, discover shades of gray and things get better.

MMA has only been in this country sine 93, and at a large level since 05. We are still getting lots of first generation fans. Like you said, we kind of have to market to them. But the market will mature, and tolerated behaviors will change, just like as a young white belt in bjj grows into a mature black belt. Fighters will mature too. When is the last time a boxer miss weight? There are many aspects of professionalism, even at the highest level, that are extremely lacking in MMA. Those will come with time.

At the same time, this sport/business is and will be two guys beating the crap out of each other in a cage, so I wouldn't ever expect these folks to conduct themselves like diplomats or polo players.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12