Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Competition advice needed

I intend to start competing this year. I started training jiu jitsu around a year ago and it's the only discipline I have any experience in. I'm 41 now and train twice a week and go to the open mat sessions on a Saturday morning. This involves 1 hour of sparring ten mins rounds starting from stand up and then an hour of ten min rounds from knees. This has given me a good opportunity to spar from standing, most of the time I pull guard. I also go to the gym outside of classes when I can and drill. This feels like a good balance for me at the moment. It's worth mentioning I broke my leg three years ago and have a metal plate, screws and dodgy knee and really didn't think I would be able to take the training this far. We have wrestling classes after jiu jitsu I have considered doing these but have decided for the moment to stay with my regular routine ,train smart, allow good recovery and limit the chances of sustaining an injury. So I want to focus on a couple of takedowns and drill them whenever I get the opportunity to prepare me for competition. Considering the points I made what two takedowns do you think I should concentrate on. I have the support and advice of both instructors but thought I would ask you killers for an opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Double leg and single leg :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    This ones good =D.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Double leg and single leg :-)
    Yeah, the basic proven stuff is usually a good choice to start if your not sure. I'd also say though, if your competition game plan involves takedowns and you have a class of such available, I'd consider that. I'd also try and work them into your current stand up BJJ training before competing. In the end, you should be trying to do in comp the stuff you are doing best in the gym. I don't understand why when people have a comp coming up they want to suddenly change what is currently working for them right before the comp... If your always pulling guard in class, that should be what you do in comp until that changes IN CLASS first.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    I would recommend takedowns that are similar to techniques you use during rolling, so standing armdrags could be a good option. But definitely get good at single and double legs.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HeI3O-sVzI

Last time I trained with Einstein we worked variations of ankle picks. It's my go to nowadays.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    That Flying squirrel looks dang similar to Nathan Orchard's double leg defense in which he drops into the truck after.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    +1 on double and single legs. I've had pretty decent success with low singles in submission grappling. Doubles can be a little intimidating at first if you're worried about having a guillotine snatched up on your neck

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Really can't go wrong with the double and single leg there. I personally like the fireman carry cuz I can grab their head and it's there if they hand fight w/ me.

It might be a good idea to clarify whether the screws plate and dodgy knee prevent certain movements or are to be avoided. A double leg may be a great technique but not if banging your knee on the floor is going to cause you problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast