Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wearing cups?

Array

School
    Inyodo Martial Arts/Carlson Gracie Team
    I'm sure there are lots of tournaments that don't allow cup . I'm only speaking from MY experience. I'd like to see a percentage of tournaments that allow cups versus don't. Again its not only about injury prevention

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Quote Originally Posted by scottross View Post
    My testicles are important to me; I'd rather protect them.
    This.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    I wear one. I don't care what anyone else says about it, I'm looking out for mine (literally). I use to wrestle without a cup, and looking back I'm amazed I didn't accidentally hurt my nuts multiple times.

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    i train gi and nogi and the cup is always a must... when you get a knee downward on your nuts you will yell...cup why have i forsaken u..

Array

School
    Crazy Monkey Norge, Oslo, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    I remember one of Rogan's podcasts where he's talking about one special cup that goes up your butt like a g-string. He really liked that cup because it prevents the problem of your nuts getting a little bit out of the cup and then getting crushed by the edge.

Anyone know what kind of cup that was?
    That sounds like a Thai Steel Cup, they use for muay thai fights.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    What % of 10th planet guys wear cups? Thoughts on them? Looking at reddit's JJ threads about them, most gi guys don't wear them, but a higher % of nogi guys do.
    No cup. I'll rock either the mouth guard or a stick of gum.

4 children is enough
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    What's a cup? Didn't wear one when I played hockey, still won't wear one today. Dont even get me started with mouthguards. Lol

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN
    Just a mouth guard for me, never have worn a cup. I could definitely see the argument for wearing one though.

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    I used to rock a cup every tourney and every practice. Eventually I got sick of rocking the extra layers and extra laundry - needing to wash it after every practice.

So no cup for me.

You have to wonder how hundreds of thousands of judo players and wrestlers have managed over decades and decades of practice not to have had this surface as a problem and this is in sports where you might think that the risk of impact and damage was higher than in jiu jitsu.

I have never known judo players or wrestlers express a concern about injury and the authorities presumably do not consider that it is a safety issue to be addressed.

I dare say that there is a small risk of injury although I have never seen any but then again I suspect that more testicular injuries arise when riding a bike and I would not think of wearing a cup just in case.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast