Thread: stretching

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

stretching

I was not taught how to stretch in JJ as a new student. They have us jogging around the mat and shrimping and shit, but no stretching at all. Coming from a TKD background where we spent 15 minutes formally in every single class stretching, this seems crazy to me.

Some guys do a little stretching in the 5 min before class, but NO ONE stretches after JJ class, at least not in the classes I'm in. That's double crazy.

Here is a secret I learned from a decade of throwing headkicks:

If you want to be flexible: full lotus, butterfly, side splits, front splits.

stretch after you workout!

You should always stretch to warm up, that gets your joints ready to go. But that does very little to increase your overall flexibility over time.

You increase flexibility best when you stretch out a fully warmed up joint.

So stretch after class. And spend a good bit of time doing it. This will increase your flexibility much faster.

1. stretch out
    2. work out
    3. deep stretching to improve flexibility
    4. shower
    5. rest
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-12-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita Winnipeg
    I've been reading Pavel Tsatsouline's "relax into stretch" and it's blowing my mind.

The basic concept is that your body has always had the flexibility, and it's a mental block that prevents you from going further.

http://www.amazon.ca/Relax-into-Stre.../dp/0938045288

I haven't implemented his practice yet, but I will, and report.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by derrick hornick View Post
    The basic concept is that your body has always had the flexibility, and it's a mental block that prevents you from going further.
    I haven't read this. But stretching is for sure NOT about forcing your joints open. It's about applying gentle pressure to the joint and then relaxing the muscles that control that joint...

Just look at doing the splits as an example. When you try, your muscles tighten up to STOP the splits from happening. To stretch it, you balance yourself and then relax into it.

The idea that you already have flexibility and it's a mental block seems a little woo to me. If you cannot do it and I physically press you into the splits, even if you completely relax, you're going to hurt yourself.

But the author is correct that you need to relax into a stretch. "Surrender into the posture" they say all the time in Yoga.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-12-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I've been reading Pavel Tsatsouline's "relax into stretch" and it's blowing my mind.

That dude is a genius. Start doing what he says.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    That dude is a genius. Start doing what he says.
    BOOM!

Did you hear him on Tim Ferris's podcast episode 55? I recommend

Array

School
    10th Planet San Diego
    gonna try this too!

Array

School
    Ronin

Well its not really a 'mental block' its a central nervous system reaction you have to retrain.

Pavel is good but IMO Thomas Kurz is really the long time king of extreme flexibility.
    I looked him up recently and he now looks old, balding with white hair ...and still able to hit the full splits in any direction ...while doing kettebell lifts haha

Scott Sonnon's joint mobility stuff is really the missing link for most people.
    Working joints through their jull range of motion and developing full mobility in that way should be the first stop on the road to extreme flexibility .....but most people go straight for long static stretching.

Edit: Just decided to buy Thomas Kurz's newest DVD (flexibilty Express) after checking out his site for the first time in 10+ years. Will post thoughts here after it arrives!
    Last edited by SAB380; 03-02-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    A vast majority of the schools I've trained at are the same. What makes Tenth Planet unique is that it embraces the physical potential of special human beings. Looking at the old-school Helio Gracie style, that's more geared toward basic body movements that would apply to 100% of the population. Shrimping is still an important piece to the puzzle, it shouldn't be disregarded. Even 10p has it in their warm-ups. Thanks for the stretching tips, I'll definitely keep'em in mind.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon
    awesome information, thanks homies

Array

School
    Ronin
    I also like the guys at 'Gold Medal Bodies' and their flexibility stuff.

Here is a cool sequence of exercises on hip mobility:
    http://gmb.io/hip-flexibility/