Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

gogo loco variation?

I'm not at the point where I can try this on humans yet, but it's something I keep seeing on my grappling dummy:

Once I've done kung-fu and have my shin in his neck, the standard gogo move is to release my knee and wrap my left arm over his neck and hook my toes. Then I either press my heel up with my right hand for the gogo, or get wrist control and use my right heel in a loco.

But what I'm seeing is instead of releasing my left knee, as soon as I've finished kung fu move I wrap my RIGHT arm around his head with my left foot in there too. My left foot is in the crook of my right elbow, and then I connect my right hand to my left hand (still around my knee) with an S-grip.

Then I can kind of stomp with my left foot against the inside of my right elbow to create the neck pressure with my shin.

This move feels so natural I can hardly help doing it. Is this legit, or will I find once I'm using this live that there are problems with it?
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-16-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Mojoplata

This sounds interesting, when you wrap your right arm around is it kinda like a gogo/guillotine combo?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoplata View Post
    This sounds interesting, when you wrap your right arm around is it kinda like a gogo/guillotine combo?
    kind of, yeah, but my arms are behind the head and shin in front. It feels really strong, stronger than gripping my toes with my left hand. It also keeps my left arm around my knee which also feels good to me. I get really nervous letting go of that left knee. But I'm doing this on a dummy so it's hard to tell if there are holes or problems with it that I might face.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    speaking of the dummy, I have to say I'm really growing to like it. I can put it in invisible collar or other RG positions and squeeze as hard as I can, as long as I can. I can exert all kinds of force on it and it doesn't complain at all. It's helping me practice my RG technique with full force.

When I kung fu move I'm digging my forearm into his chin. My forearms are constantly exerting full pressure against the collar bones and neck.

I'm fucking that grappling dummy up.

I love the fact that it's totally content to let me drill RG transitions over and over and over on it. I'm doing like 6 reps in a set, several sets every day. I don't even have to change clothes. It's a few feet away from me right now. So I watch a video and BAM I drop to the ground, grab it, and try to mimic what I've seen.

Once I'm on the ground with the thing on top of me, I run through RG transitions while I'm down there.

One thing I've noticed is really hard is keeping my weak side leg tight against the body. Those abductor muscles are so weak and they fatigue SOOO fast. I'm getting in the habit of double-bagging just to give my leg a bit of a rest. I'm trying hard not to let that leg just hang out over there. Eddie stresses that in the DVD and it's obvious to me that passing the weak side leg is probably the first thing people are going to try to do to get out of a RG.... so I'm trying to prepare. (I really hope I can learn to pull the hindu control. the idea that they can pass and I don't care seems epic to me... you dont even have to clear the neck! Ben Eddie you are a genius)

It's probably going to be many months before I ever try any of this stuff in class. By that time I'm going to have these pathways burned into my brain. The other whitebelts are not going to know what hit them.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-16-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Mojoplata

I should get a dummy, I'm too nice to my training partners sometimes. It would be nice to practice without the thought of injury.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    The first time I ever saw this, the guy was calling it the "swells choke" or something like that (after his own last name). Then I saw it again as the "Froda-plata" and then as the "loeogo-plata" (all these guys names).

For me, this feels super natural repping and against low level opponents but better opponents will push the foot straight in front of them and not down and stop the choke 100% of the time in my experience.

Eddie Bravo, however, has messed with those moves and developed "the Gogo-Clinch", a position that uses this position for control that will lead to a sub shortly and not an immediate choke. It's also MUCH easier to grab.

Your name is in blue, which means you already have access to MTS. I suggest you watch "the Gogo-clinch" on there. The first time he shows it on MTS, he also briefly shows and speaks on the thing you are talking about.

For your reference, look under "Go-Go Clinch" here to see all the MTS's its in : http://www.10thplanetmobile.com/search/

I hope this helped you

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by gene k View Post
    Yes, this looks like a more refined version of what I was talking about. Essentially the same in that your wrapping that right arm around his head and hooking to the left hand which is still around the knee. He's leaving his foot out which allows him to get tighter and gable grip his hands. Plus the addition of his right leg over the left foot.

Very cool.

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Yes, this looks like a more refined version of what I was talking about. Essentially the same in that your wrapping that right arm around his head and hooking to the left hand which is still around the knee. He's leaving his foot out which allows him to get tighter and gable grip his hands. Plus the addition of his right leg over the left foot.

Very cool.
    Glad you guys dig it!