Thread: Solo Drills!

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington

Solo Drills!

I've been using Denny Prokopos's kata's from the Rubber Guard DVD and it's super helpful when I've got no one to train with! I was wondering if there are any more solo 10th Planet Kata's or solo drills that are beneficial that I could be doing as well?

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Constant stretching and mental drilling goes a long way for me. I know a couple guys that use a grappling dummy to drill on too. I'll keep my eye on this thread though, good question

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    What are Kata?

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    Thanks for the advice man I'll keep that in mind! Just ordered a dummy to got to love eBay!

Hope this helps Joe

Kata are small, structured practice routines or protocols.
    Through physical practice their pattern becomes second nature,
    done with little conscious attention. Kata are typically for learning
    fundamentals to build on. The goal is not the kata themselves,
    which get used less as you grow more proficient, but the habits
    of thinking and acting that practicing them leaves behind.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcGuinness View Post
    I've been using Denny Prokopos's kata's from the Rubber Guard DVD and it's super helpful when I've got no one to train with! I was wondering if there are any more solo 10th Planet Kata's or solo drills that are beneficial that I could be doing as well?
    I've been watching these DVD's repeatedly but I must have missed this. Where are the RG katas located?

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    It's in the extras on disc 3 of The Rubber Guard DVD. You can buy the DVDs from the 10thplanetjj shop it's worth it dude! Hope that helps.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai

Array

School
    Ronin
    The one Cobrinha is using I use all the time for 2- 3 minute rounds (15 second pause after each lap as you will get dizzy) - make sure you are envisioning the opponent passing as you do it and framing the whole time. It is phenomenal at getting you used to Inverted Guard... easy to progress too, just replace the wall with a partner and have them move laterally / in a circle / etc. When you don't have a wall just do the straight legged version from the warmups.

NEVER under estimate the importance of shrimping (PROPERLY! Use Eddie's cues on backing the ass up and out), reverse shrimping, Granbying, fluent technical stand ups, less keen on sprawls - but you should do them until you get the mechanics down, shoots with a lateral step, side control - knee on belly wind shield - knee on belly - side control on a heavy bag, lateral jumps from side control on a heavy bag (one leg scissor and double leg), start kneeling as if in guard - flip the toes - step one leg up and throw weight into that leg - then twist your body as you step up the other leg to mimic the explosive guard stand up, pop ups (same as before but as soon as you flip your toes jump to your feet), stability ball work I'm still on the fence with but I'd say do 10 mins a day for a month and see if it does anything for you.

That's about 30 minutes of solo drills there - just split them into rounds.

Array

School
    10th Planet Darlington
    Thanks for the help everyone!