Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile

Mandatory mat time to roll?

What other gyms practice this? Does your gym allow you to roll on the first day?

I'm definitely thinking of regulating white on white rolling and would just like to hear other gyms philosophies on the subject. I definitely direct their rolls when possible, but since I am constantly rolling, every now and then I'll see two white belts having a kumite. Negligent on my part. I've always been old school trial by fire "if you're on the mats you're Rollin off" mindset. Injury prevention is a huge priority with me, but so is progression. The fact is that all badasses take risks, and I like to encourage it. Even though it is a form of combat we train, non-athletes sign up all the time. It takes a while to develop a body that is structurally sound for combat from scratch- But everybody wants to roll..

How many classes should be required to safely participate in free roll?

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    I'm just brain storming here, but maybe create your own video breaking down rolling for beginners. That way any potential students could watch and know what to expect at your gym.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Bobby, call me and I will tell you how we do it. It has worked out really, really well for everyone.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    There is one black belt instructor in our area whom everyone their first day is only allowed to roll with him, after the first time he will slowly allow you to roll against higher belts first, who pretty much show you the ropes. One of the other schools I train at allows new folks to roll, but he also emphasizes white belts need to roll against a colored belt at least one each night. I think it's a case by case situation, and the individual too. Being as experienced as I am now, I try to keep an eye on other newbies who roll against each other, and make sure "kumites" are kept controlled if anything.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Bobby, call me and I will tell you how we do it. It has worked out really, really well for everyone.
    Word

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    What other gyms practice this? Does your gym allow you to roll on the first day?

I'm definitely thinking of regulating white on white rolling and would just like to hear other gyms philosophies on the subject. I definitely direct their rolls when possible, but since I am constantly rolling, every now and then I'll see two white belts having a kumite. Negligent on my part. I've always been old school trial by fire "if you're on the mats you're Rollin off" mindset. Injury prevention is a huge priority with me, but so is progression. The fact is that all badasses take risks, and I like to encourage it. Even though it is a form of combat we train, non-athletes sign up all the time. It takes a while to develop a body that is structurally sound for combat from scratch- But everybody wants to roll..

How many classes should be required to safely participate in free roll?
    Wattup bobby!!! yeah, we do, however, my guidance is that it's not a smash session to the newbie. It's a learning session. Teach the new guy something you learned or wanted to learn your first day and flow roll it. Technically, It's probably not a full roll but the new people get to interact with everyone on the first day, get tapped a few times without getting smashed, and participate the enitire first day. They don't have to roll if they aren't comfortable the first day but most do. I've been to gyms that make you sit and watch the first day of rolling and felt it made the new people alienated on their first day. I've got a lot of positive feedback doing it this way. Just my two cents worth. Hope all is well, brother!!

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    In our school, we leave it up to the new student if they would like to roll or not. If they want to roll, everyone in the school knows that when they roll with new people, not to smash them and to let them work the technique they learned that night or have them work positional drills. If they don't want to roll, we have them watch and then one of the seniors will sit with them and watch a roll; while explaining what's going on and what they need to focus on being new. For new folks with experience, we pretty much treat them like one of the crew...except me, I let them work to see where they are at for the first couple rolls (putting them in sub positions, but not tapping them and putting them in various positions of dominance and submissive to see how they react) and let me senior guys roll with them a bit more at their level.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    every now and then I'll see two white belts having a kumite
    White belt month one wrestlers are the worst at the white belt kumite when rolling from my experience. I've been slammed, had elbows dug nice and deep into my ribs while in my guard, foreheads being stacked on my mouth as hard as they could, and uncontrolled power yanks on keylocks by white belt 1st month wrestlers. I feel sooo much safer rolling with a black belt who can smash me in a controlled fashion vs Mr. or Mrs. White Belt Kumite.

What's worked for me with a new person I roll with is I ask them their belt level and grappling experience and if they have any injuries that I should watch for. I tell them mine, and I just directly say, please don't yank uncontrolled on anything or spaz out during the roll so that neither of us get injured. This sets the tone of "I care about your safety and mine and want to enjoy this learning experience we're about to share."

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    We used to do it where all white belts roll their first day. Not too long ago, we switched it to where they need to get a month under their belt to spar. I like the idea above of putting emphasis on flow rolling with the beginners. Our new policy came into play more in regards to safety and the fact that a brand new white belt, as we've seen, oftentimes has absolutely no idea what they should be doing. We've made exceptions for people coming in with wrestling experience, which makes sense given that they're generally safer, as I've seen. They might be overly aggressive, but at least there's a degree of predictability when dealing with a wrestler vs. someone who's never trained a day in their life. But irregardless I think training on the first day would be quite alright with proper communication and understanding.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Josh Stopped letting New guys roll right off the bat. (New guys: New to grappling, no prior training) even when they have wrasslin experience, they've gotta do a few classes first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast