Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gordon's American martial arts

competition advice

I would like to start getting experience in competition, is there any strategies I should consider? I have never competed in jiu jitsu and I could use ask the advice I can get.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    There are probably 1000 guys on this forum more qualified than I to give advice, but any submissions I've pulled off in comp have been things that were bread and butter moves rolling in the gym. They were things that I went for over and over in practice and when they presented themselves in comp, it felt comfortable and within reach. Be comfortable rolling in the gym and play that game in comp. Drill and have a comfort zone, some go-to moves.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Go buy "Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin right now.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    There are probably 1000 guys on this forum more qualified than I to give advice, but any submissions I've pulled off in comp have been things that were bread and butter moves rolling in the gym. They were things that I went for over and over in practice and when they presented themselves in comp, it felt comfortable and within reach. Be comfortable rolling in the gym and play that game in comp. Drill and have a comfort zone, some go-to moves.
    Contrary to this opinion, every sub I've pulled off in competition has not been my go to. The only thing that has transferred between comp and gym is my lockdown, which is very polished to my blue belt level understanding. For instance, my best subs in the gym are gogo platas from mounted mono control, s-mount arm bars, jnt's, and rncs. My best sub in comp us the Marcelotine, which I rarely hit in the gym.

Basically what I'm saying is that you can plan all you want, but once the ref says "fight," that very likely might go out the window.

My advice is to learn how to navigate the adrenaline and stay coherent in your lizard brain's 'fight' response.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Contrary to this opinion, every sub I've pulled off in competition has not been my go to. The only thing that has transferred between comp and gym is my lockdown, which is very polished to my blue belt level understanding. For instance, my best subs in the gym are gogo platas from mounted mono control, s-mount arm bars, jnt's, and rncs. My best sub in comp us the Marcelotine, which I rarely hit in the gym.

Basically what I'm saying is that you can plan all you want, but once the ref says "fight," that very likely might go out the window.

My advice is to learn how to navigate the adrenaline and stay coherent in your lizard brain's 'fight' response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Go buy "Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin right now.

I will concede that I've caught a couple toe-holds in sub-only's even though my school doesn't allow us to go for toe-holds against other blue belts. It was more situational. However, I've caught the same armbar from open-guard setup that I've drilled, which didn't require any elaborate setup other than him kinda giving it to me. Same thing happens in the gym. In the heat of the moment, it's nice to have that instantaneous confidence to attack something that you know is in your arsenal. I'm gonna check out that book though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Not saying having go tos is a bad thing, just that being ready for all the preparation to possibly go out the window, and be ready to bust out your utility knife, is important. And learning to deal with the adrenaline is one of the most important things you can do.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I would say compete as much as possible until you're comfortable with the competition nerves. One of the most frustrating things I went through as a grappler, was my first 3 or so tournaments I would have an adrenaline dump and really disappoint myself in competition. I would be hesitating and mentally beating myself in positions I would be super comfortable in at the gym. I think I went something like 2-5 over my first few tournaments. Then I consciously started using visualizations and positive affirmations in the week leading up to comps, and telling myself that I'm ok with the idea of losing. Just doing that will take the pressure off of yourself tremendously. My last 2 or 3 comps I've felt on fire, just having fun competing and landing submissions. It's crazy how big a part of the game your confidence plays. SO my best advice is just try to enjoy competition, winning and losing is all a part of the ride.

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    The more you think about it, the more nervous you make yourself. Just sign up, train hard, and roll.

Array

School
    Agree with hespectnogi aka Nick. Try to transform your nervous energy into positive energy throughout the match. The more you compete, the easier it'll be to find your zone. It's always tougher beforehand than it is during the actual match. Prepare like a champ and you'll be a champ��

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Your first tournament should be just for fun. No expectations. Just a fun learning experience. After that you should then begin to work on a gameplan for competing that will evolve as your skill and knowledge evolves. Set a simple goal for the first few like. Controlling your breathing or never putting your hands on the mat while in guard and focused on that for a couple weeks leading up to your comp. As you progress you will incorporate your strengths into your game plan. For me I always planed out how I would fight the whole fight. Phase one get the low single. Phase two pass to side control and establish the kimura grip control etc... Then I always planed what I would do if they did the most obvious counter to each phase. He who fails to plan...Plans to fail. Oh and you can listen to THE ART OF LEARNING on YouTube for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast