Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Competed for the first time today! *Feedback wanted*

Hey guys, so after almost 3 years of training, and at almost 32 years young, I decided to compete today. I went 4-1 overall, winning both of my nogi matches (blue belt gi and advanced nogi). I don't spend any of my time learning to use the gi, I've never point-fought before, nearly all of my favorite and best subs were illegal, and my strong side rubber guard knee is completely jacked right now. Because of my knee injury I had to basically ignore all rubber guard, meathooks, mounted gogos, monoplata setups...and the list goes on (basically everything in my go-to game plan).

I'd love it if anyone would take the time to critique my matches. Be brutally honest; I want to find weaknesses and address them.

I apologize in advance for the somewhat shaky video! I advise against watching the second nogi match if you're not into seeing a man's knee get pretty badly injured.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Array

School
    Steel City MMA

Bonus footage of my teammate Mike just crushing with his rubber guard!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    On nogi video 1: Learn to make pressure with your shoulder when he is holding a guillotine from bottom side. Don't try to frame your head out; you actually don't want it out. Put pressure and choke him with the von flu and if he lets go , go far side with an arm triangle

Nogi video 2: I would have started using "Jaw's of Life" when the guy kept holding that almost north south choke. His head was not glued to the mat like it should have been, so that was your point of escape.

Nogi video 3 (of your friend): Your friend Mike needs to stop being flat on his back in rubberguard, especially the later positions where it should be easy to stay on your side. Someone better will squash that, even after you are kung fu-ed. It basically already happened once in this match when he had to reset.

Congrats on all your success!

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    Thanks for taking the time to watch the videos Brian, I really appreciate it.

In nogi video 1, 99 times out of 100 I would have instantly went for the von flu, and in the audio you can hear my friend prompt me to hit it, but I was nervous about how big and strong my opponent was, and felt like if I pressured forward into the choke he would roll me.

Great point on video 2, and getting the jaws of life in is what did get me out in the end. From the inside of that choke it was near impossible to think straight.

I'll definitely give Mike your advice on his rubber guard. By the way, we love your Brackish Waters video!