Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Why is this an issue? I don't listen to my cardiologist on how to fix my car's radiator. Eddie has his own personal beliefs but that doesn't tie in any way to what you're paying for, which is jiujitsu knowledge and lessons. Erik Paulson believes some whacky shit but he's one of the best. And so are quite a lot of people. Some instructors have different religions or have eccentric personalities, but I'm not paying money to learn their take on the universe. I want to know how to strangle people and Eddie seems to know a thing or two about it.

Array

School
    cobra kai
    Would you care if the instructor was homphobic,racist and have a history of sexual assault?

I agree with Eddie on weed 100%, psychedelics for many people are largely beneficial too, 9-11 I don't necessarily think is an inside job but damn I think all of us have a lot of questions, I don't think moon landing was a hoax that has been covered on myth busters and JRE with Neil Degrass Tyson. I strongly disagree with Eddie about vaccines, long story short in another life I have a medical background and my sister is a doctor, I'm no expert but to think vaccines aren't necessary to me is fuckin' crazy, I strongly believe based on my background and looking at history that without vaccines we would have large outbreaks of preventable, contagious, infectious diseases that are fatal or debilitating.

I think the government is incompetent and tries to be overprotective, but not necessarily evil or malicious.

I really like the fact that Eddie has a system for BJJ that is well structured, from warmups to perfecting flows and perfecting finishing skills. I value his contributions to the martial arts world and he is pretty damn interesting on his podcast or whenever he is a guest on a podcast.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    Would you care if the instructor was homphobic,racist and have a history of sexual assault?
    I'd be more worried if my instructor had really bad hair. Luckily, that's not a worry

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by dlee427 View Post
    Why is this an issue? I don't listen to my cardiologist on how to fix my car's radiator.
    That about sums up what my argument would be.

Array

School
    Rilion Gracie Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    That about sums up what my argument would be.
    Of course a cardiologist can't fix your radiator - that's for the radiologist.

Here's a better analogy: if you were picking between cardiologists, would your decision be influenced by whether or not they proclaimed something you found offensive? (Believe it or not, some people find Sandy Hook and Tower 7 conspiracies offensive.)

There's no need to get defensive on Eddie's behalf and insinuate that I'm anti-10p. He is without a doubt the man, and that's regardless of whatever he says about, well, anything. The way Eddie talks about JJM is the way a lot of us feel about Eddie. If I ever get the opportunity, I'm flying out to LA to train at 10pHQ.

I just wanted to know if anybody else felt that some of Eddie's conspiracy theories crossed the line, and whether or not this could be counter-productive to the cause of spreading 10p. From what I can tell in the comments, the overall answer is "meh." Which is fine, really. But IMO it's a good question to ask.

Array

School
    Los Angeles Downtown HQ
    I see the focus on conspiracies vital to the innovation that the community relies on. It takes the very same logic process to make connections about the observable world as it does to make connections between movements and techniques within jiu jitsu. Whatever the personal view is of the topics presented, the continued pursuit to uncover the truth is what matters most. The risk is that the ideas and connections presented lead to erroneous beliefs while the reward is a deeper understanding of reality.

Array

School
    10th Ventura
    “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”
    ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"I am truly a ‘lone traveler’ and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude---feelings which increase with the years." -- Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions

"Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. Everything science has taught me, and continues to teach me, strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death." -- Wernher von Braun

"The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." -- Carl von Clausewitz, On War

Array

School
    10th Ventura
    “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”
    ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"I am truly a ‘lone traveler’ and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude---feelings which increase with the years." -- Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions

"Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. Everything science has taught me, and continues to teach me, strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death." -- Wernher von Braun

"The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." -- Carl von Clausewitz, On War

Array

School
    Carlos machado Shreveport Louisiana

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast