Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I get where everybody is coming from and there is a certain amount of validity, but she was just asking that we let her know of any big tournaments we hear about.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    I've done two pgl matches, I was invited, however you can also just hit them up to see if there is a spot. Odds are there will be. They like to do female matches and 10th planet is a known name that they can use, I'm pretty sure they will put you on.
    Yes, I sent them an email and one of my sponsors said she could probably get me on in October so..fingers crossed!
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Yeah we forgot southern Florida. Certainly there are a number of world champions training there, Abreu among them.

Aberu, extensive training in Brazil, then outside Miami (relocated for training)
    Lepri, extensive training in Brazil, now trains in New York (relocated for training)
    Jouban, moved to LA 10 years ago for training (relocated for training)
    Miesha Tate, who lives and trains in WA, is at a level where she can travel all over the country and hire private coaches, which she does, so we can't really count that. You can train in Sibera if you can bring in the right coaches and training partners.

It doesn't really matter where you were born, or where you got started. All those people you listed have relocated for training, every single one.

Oh I forgot Nathan Orchard. I'm pretty sure he's not a world champion.

Like I said before there are many levels of achievement. But you were very specifically talking about being the best in the world, and a world champion. That's an extremely high bar. As far as I know, 10p has ZERO world champions. This Aug might be the first with Geo going to ADCC in Brazil. I'm sure everyone has their fingers crossed for him, and I personally think he's got a really good shot. But he's got some incredibly stiff competition, so we'll have to wait and see.

As an example of just how high that bar is, here is a bjj hero page for Jusin Rader.
    http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/justin-rader

He's got world championship titles, but there are ZERO golds at the black belt level listed on his resume. And he's good. Really, really good. Here is a video of him competing against Denny Prokopos, who is also very good. It's a fairly one-sided affair in Rader's favor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkAUwk1iIA

Rader will also be at ADCC this Aug, competing in the same division as Geo. I'm sure he's also hoping to get his first gold medal at the world-class level as a blackbelt.

The "world champion" bar is extremely, extremely high. You're just not going to achieve that without training with other guys who are competing at that level.

But that said, you're only a blue belt. You've got close a decade of training ahead of you before you're even a black belt. Let alone competing at the world-class level as a black belt. Perhaps this is just a matter of scale and perspective...

Finally I thought you were training in Alabama, not Atlanta?

Here's right from Lucas lepre's website:
    Lucas is from Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil and came to the US in 2009 to be an instructor at Alliance, New York City. After 3 years of instructing in New York, Lucas spent 2 years instructing at the Alliance US headquarters in Atlanta, GA. Though not all great athletes make great instructors, Lucas’ instructor training grounds have been among the best in the world and his student’s successes are a testament to his teaching and coaching abilities. He has produced many World, Pan, and European medalists and people have moved from all over to train with Lucas full-time.

There's good Jiu Jitsu in the south. You can say whatever you need to tell yourself. I'd just appreciate it if you'd keep my team and coach out of since I never said anything about where I train.......My Jiu Jitsu is progressing great, just need some better tournies. And yes, I train in AL and will continue to for the record and I believe I can make it to a high level just fine despite my location.

And you're right I am a blue belt, not in any hurry to belt up, just want more of a challenge so when I am a black belt I have a ton of experience under my belt.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I think the fast track would to move to a hotbed where you can train with the best (World Champions) every single day.

But that's not to say you couldn't do it, where you're at now.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    Yes, I sent them an email and one of my sponsors said she could probably get me on in October so..fingers crossed!
    Ha...you will probably end up fighting Gabby. Shes done a few PGL's as well and they tried to get her to do the last after the other girl bailed the day of but she was unable. She should be on the next card...if you dont want to fight her tell them you are on the same team and they will find you another opponent. A million bjj girls in the Jersey\NY area.
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Craig,
    I simply stated a few of my goals at the end of the post, like I said Earlier, maybe I titled it badly for those of you who don't know me and don't get what I meant. BUT I was talking about tournaments. Yes the goal is to eventually be a world champion, right now I'd like some decent, more challenging matches and to attend some bigger tournaments. Can't do much more than that with a blue belt, so I want to so all I can.

I think you give a lot of advice for someone who has been training for so little of a time. But I'm sure it all comes from a good place! Things do seem to get off topic in a forum so *shrugs* that's ok. A lot of high level people have moved to train with people who are world champions, I don't have that but I do have a team pushing towards the same goals as me. We'll get there or we won't.

VJ, 10th planet or not I would fight Gabby and be honored to do so. I would fight any of the other girls they'd like to match up with me. I'm looking for something new and exciting to try this year.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    A lot of high level people have moved to train with people who are world champions, I don't have that but I do have a team pushing towards the same goals as me. We'll get there or we won't.

All I'll add is that the best advice I got from anyone is that if you want something bad enough, and you NEVER EVER stop wanting it, you'll eventually get it. If you don't want it bad enough, you won't get it. I won't go as far as writing a "How To" book, but that thinking has constantly served to benefit me in any and every aspect. World championship...seems like you want it. At least on the internet. Only time will tell.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Say whatever I need to tell myself? Not sure what you mean. This isn't about me. I will not be a world champion, not in this life. I also never said anything about your team nor your coach. I'm sure Sean and the rest are great people at Gulf Shores, likely highly competent grapplers.

I'm also sure you can get to a "high level" there. I'm sure you're progressing well, that's awesome. I was simply trying to respond to your original post which says "you want to be the best female grappler in the world, period".

I'm sorry if my post upset you or if you think I'm being a dick. I was just trying to give some perspective to your stated goals, and suggest how you might accomplish them, based on how the other world-champions have accomplished it.
    Craig - 100% serious question... Do you think Lovato and Raider would have been better served closing up shop and moving to NY/LA? And do you think that they would have definitely won more championships if they were training at Atos or Marcelo's for example?

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    VJ, 10th planet or not I would fight Gabby and be honored to do so. I would fight any of the other girls they'd like to match up with me. I'm looking for something new and exciting to try this year.
    Interesting comment. I was letting you know so two teamates (technically I guess) would not have to fight each other on a high level card (but rather support each other?) but if this is the route you would like to go to make a name for yourself so be it. Best of luck!

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I think maybe those of you that don't think the south has good Jiu Jitsu should come on out and roll sometime. Craig, I've rolled with you personally, so I'm pretty surprised to hear that your views on the subject lean towards the south being inferior.

It's cool to hate the south; I get it. Your TV tells you that we are dumb and racist and we all bang our sisters. But in the meantime, all of the smartest people I know live here. All of the most racist people I know live on the coasts and in big cities. And all of the people who sleep with their cousins live in... Well, those people live in the south. But I digress.

I ain't mad. But for sure it puts a chip on my shoulder. I'll be in LA in August for a week. And when I leave, no one that trained with me will be if the opinion that good players can't rise from small teams. Many of the great 10p players aren't from HQ. They're Ronins who clawed their way to the top.

There's some amazing Jiu Jitsu in LA and NYC, no doubt. But the 10 time world champion team is Allainace. In fact, they just won it. And they're HQ is right here in the dirty, dirty south.

Long live the Ronin.

Also, I love yall.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 06-10-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast