Doctor Rhonda Patrick: Sauna use may boost Longevity

Guys in my gym are raving about sauna use lately due to this video.

I did my first session today and hey it felt pretty good.

This video blew my mind though for real.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    The Rhonda Patrick eps of JRE are some of my favs...

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Her episode with Joe where she talked about head trauma in sports was really good and I highly recommend it to anyone who fights

Here is a link to a dope Tim Ferris article elaborating on the benefits of sauna.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/04/...-2/#fn-11990-9

I'm already committed to using it 4 times a week for 20 minute sessions. Seems like quite possibly the very best thing you can do for increase in athletic performance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Her episode with Joe where she talked about head trauma in sports was really good and I highly recommend it to anyone who fights
    It was definitely gold

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Interesting read thanks for the post

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Can't say enough of how great the Sauna is for my body. Live in a heavy finish area and we have a saying, that Fins live so long. Mostly because they go to the Sauna a whole lot. I have an outdoor wood fired one that I use 2-4 times per week. Sometimes I crank it to 200+ and blast for 5-8 minutes until I have to run out. Then I stay out until fully cooled, then back in to another round. Sometime I repeat this for 2 hrs. As far as the heart goes, it thinks it is doing sprint interval training. Increased heart rate and massive toxin flushing sweat, the total cool down. Can't tell you how great this is for my body. P.S. sometimes in winter we jump in da snow bank, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    Sometimes in winter we jump in da snow bank, eh.
    Haha awesome. Dr. Patrick says its best to take a cold shower immediately after. Or if you are a complete savage… get into an ice bath.

It seems like the simplest way to put the athletic benefits of sauna is this:

When your body is prepared for the extreme heat stress of the sauna, the mild heat stress from an intense workout (BJJ roll) becomes a cake-walk.