Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    I think people that mostly train in the gi really don't get how easy it is to do a lot of "no-gi" moves in the gi. Lots of ppl will swear they're a lot harder to do in the gi but I don't find that to be true.
    shawn williams made a good point about how the control in a sense is better in the gi, since you are able to control someone's knee using the pant grip, but also doesn't control a limb as directly since the there is room for someone's arm/leg to move around inside the gi (as opposed to say overhooking an arm or leg in nogi).

i can see how some grips/holds might be tough to use in the gi for that reason since there is a layer (gi) between your grip and someone's limb/neck/etc.

sure train both for more mat time. if you avoid some habits with the gi i think it helps nogi. meaning mostly the guard - standard collar and sleeve death grips are great for gi but don't translate to nogi. you can stick with collar tie overhook, underhook, etc. imo rubber guard works great in gi. lockdown half - great either, truck too and twister. didn't eddie twister everybody up on the cali circuit in gi purple and brown belt when training at jean jacques? all the leg lock stuff last 3 MTS work too gi nogi. top game shouldn't be too different except for stripping death grips in the gi. the sleeve spider / overhook guard game is a pita to deal with in gi you don't in nogi. maybe that's too much difference for most - that's cool but i like the extra rolling doing both i get and to me the differences are manageable. of course this is ronin advice you can roll a lot more at a moon nogi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12