Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA

Mount with feet on hips: Monkey Mount? Something else?

Hey folks,

So I've been playing with the technique that I saw Eddie Bravo using in Studying Tape 4 at about 12-13 minutes. He establishes mount and uses his feet on the hips to acquire a high mount. He rigorously defends his underhook, as Eddie narrates his thinking on the subject. During the narration he refers to this as monkey mount.

But MTS 79 seems to designate a gogo-clinch style mount as the Monkey Mount.

So what is it called when you're using your feet on the hips like we see in Studying Tape 4? I really like the position so far, my opponents get pretty frustrated with it and one of my professors seemed pleased with the idea (and offered a tip for how I can capitalize on the position).

Thoughts?

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Is/are there MTS episode/s where monkey mount techniques and details are covered?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Monkey mount is old school. Way back to Jiu Jitsu Unleashed. I don't recall the MTS where mounted gogo clinch is called monkey mount though. Bodycomb calls it Vegan Mount
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I've heard both the "feet on his hips" position (that I think your talking about) and the "both your butterfly's still in" position that I think Brent is talking about called the monkey mount. The "mono-mount" is the "go-go clinch style mount" that you are talking about. Mono-mount is not monkey mount, no. For sure.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Monkey mount is old school. Way back to Jiu Jitsu Unleashed. I don't recall the MTS where mounted gogo clinch is called monkey mount though. Bodycomb calls it Vegan Mount
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I've heard both the "feet on his hips" position (that I think your talking about) and the "both your butterfly's still in" position that I think Brent is talking about called the monkey mount. The "mono-mount" is the "go-go clinch style mount" that you are talking about. Mono-mount is not monkey mount, no. For sure.
    Thanks Brent and Brian, that's helpful.

Our Technique List page and the instruction contained therein (MTS 79) definitely contain that mono-mount being called Monkey Mount.

Can someone suggest some techniques that are useful from monkey mount? The confusion has made this difficult to study.
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 07-07-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Tracking the confusion like a good white belt secretary:

Magnus Magnusson

10th planet Jiu Jitsu in a Gi! Planet X Jiu Jitsu-None flexible version of the Monkey Mount
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEh-h0fvxQ

10th planet Jiu Jitsu in a Gi! Planet X Jiu Jitsu- Monkey Mount set ups and attacks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Ok_jvctJ8

10th Planet Official Techniques List (and teaching)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...cpZQ/pub?gid=0

412 Monkey Mount MTS79 10:43

413 Monkey Mount MTS79 1:15:02
    Last edited by Joshua Jarboe; 07-07-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: formatting

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Tracking the confusion like a good white belt secretary:

Magnus Magnusson

10th planet Jiu Jitsu in a Gi! Planet X Jiu Jitsu-None flexible version of the Monkey Mount
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEh-h0fvxQ

10th planet Jiu Jitsu in a Gi! Planet X Jiu Jitsu- Monkey Mount set ups and attacks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Ok_jvctJ8

10th Planet Official Techniques List (and teaching)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...cpZQ/pub?gid=0

412 Monkey Mount MTS79 10:43

413 Monkey Mount MTS79 1:15:02

I just now clicked you your first link. I believe he says "monkey mount" at first to denote that was his starting position (both feet on the hips) and was not talking about stepping his leg up and such being called the monkey mount. I will try to check this again after class, I've got to go now

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Monkey mount is feet on hips mount but you can refer to the entire flexible mount style I play as monkey mount or even rubber mount.
    Last edited by Eddie Bravo; 07-08-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Ah you're right
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    cobra kai
    This thread comes at a perfect time. I just started toying around with vegan mount after watching bodycomb's instructional. It really helps with not letting your opponent re guard, but what are some other pros and cons to vegan mount/monkey mount? (I know they're slightly different)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast