Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retard Control

Array

School
    One Combat Academy

Retard Control

I tried to use the search function first but didn't see anything about this so here goes...
    I've got some people that really balk at the term retard control, myself included. This isn't a big PC crusade or anything, I don't care what anyone else calls it, but the fact is it bothers some people. In my daily life I work as a pediatric therapist and so obviously I have a little sore spot about the term, and some of the guys in my gym have relatives/family members/friends with a disability, so it's just not something I'm really able to use.
    My question is, I've seen others refer to "special ed control", "animal control", etc. Are these separate positions, or are they alternate names for the same position? We've been calling it Animal Control where I train. Do other folks have similar issues with this?
    Granted, there aren't a lot of names that would NEED to be changed in the 10P system, but if we call it something different just within our own gym, how big a deal is that?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    A name is a name. Some people will be purists and not want you to call it something different but the only thing that matters is that if you yell out a technique name then your team mates know what youre talking about. Call it what you want imo.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Yeah, it's just a name. Personally I have no issue with it, neither does anyone at 10P Glasgow but as long as you are using it correctly, who cares what you call it really

Array

School
    TxState Kajukenbo
    Retard control is the most defensible of the "offensive" 10th planet moves. To retard, means to slow down. That's exactly what you're doing in that position. I'm raising my kids to be band dorks, so I showed them how the term was used in music as well. On the same note(pun intended), I don't have a problem saying crackhead control to them either. I just tell them that if you squeeze hard enough you should crack their skull. I haven't quite come to terms with the douche-bag yet.

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    Lol, darkside, the only thing I can think now is to band-geek you back and say in music it's "ritard".
    And like I said, I'm not trying to police the world and make everybody be PC, just choosing for myself. I just wanted to make sure that saying "animal control" wasn't going to confuse myself or my teammates down the road when another technique by that name comes up. That would suck.

Thanks guys.

Array

School
    TxState Kajukenbo
    Huh, I remember ritardando but I always saw the short as retard and never ritard. It's been a while, so it may be muttled in my mind.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian "Darkside" Gomez View Post
    Huh, I remember ritardando but I always saw the short as retard and never ritard. It's been a while, so it may be muttled in my mind.
    As a musician, I can guarantee that the short version is ritard.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    I usually just feign confusion about why the word retard would ever be used regarding a person who was mentally differently abled and then pronounce in somber tones that I would never call such a person a retard because that was mean. You have to kind of give them a look that says "This is all your fault."

...people don't really LIKE me though so...

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    I always thought is was named that as its designed to control stronger dudes from posturing (ie retard strength) - but to quote comedian Stephen Hughes 'be offended if it offends you, no one dies just because you're offended'

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast